Difference Between 2K car lacquer & 2K Poly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprog1

Reaction score
Hi, I have to spray some MDF kitchen doors High Gloss White. Is there any difference between 2K clear car Lacquer & 2K clear Polyurethane, & if so, which would be the best for Kitchen doors.
Thanks everyone, stay safe & happy

The prob is the use of the term "lacquer"

But basically the stuff used on cars etc is designed to have a much harder final surface and to be a lot less sucseptible to environmental changes such as heat. Also the majority of 2k clear coat "lacquers" used in the auto industry are specificcally acrylic water based rather than a generic polyurethane polymers.

The prob is the use of the term "lacquer"

But basically the stuff used on cars etc is designed to have a much harder final surface and to be a lot less sucseptible to environmental changes such as heat. Also the majority of 2k clear coat "lacquers" used in the auto industry are specificcally acrylic water based rather than a generic polyurethane polymers.
Thanks for that Droogs., I don't think the Lacquers they use here in Thailand are water based, but I will check.

2k refinish clearcoats (such as would be used in a professional accident repair shop) are cured using an isocyanate hardener. They are hazardous and certainly shouldn’t be used without a positive pressure respirator and industrial extraction. With that in place, they will give an excellent, durable finish for what you want.

2k refinish clearcoats (such as would be used in a professional accident repair shop) are cured using an isocyanate hardener. They are hazardous and certainly shouldn’t be used without a positive pressure respirator and industrial extraction. With that in place, they will give an excellent, durable finish for what you want.
Thanks Mike

Back