Did you see the report that boilers sales are to stop 2025

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd venture to guess the shortened lifetime of liquidators involved many thousands. The scientists who studied it and thought they were relatively safe had drastically damaged dna. At least one of them died young due to heart attack.

the fundamental problem is population growth, leading to more homes, more consumption, more pollution and all whilst natural resources diminish
This is a favourite rant of mine....I've been saying it for years. Ultimately finite/infinite is a universal constant - it doesn't go. The ever prevailing capitalist ideal of bigger, better, faster, more should be consigned to the dustbin....it just doesn't work. There needs to be a global mind-set adjustment with regards to global population - it needs to be scaled back to a level that this planet can sustain - what that number is needs to be determined.

Now this might blow a few minds, but I think the single most problem threatening this planet, and paradoxically the solution are.......women!! (puts on tin hat and waits for barrage)..

Women are THE ONLY WAY humans can get on this planet......it is women that have ultimate control over the size of the population....the future of mankind is in their hands.....and I don't think they totally realise it......

Is spending huge sums on a green energy revolution going to impoverish us all or make the world safer from the spectre of damaging climate change. The answer to both is no!

The UK alone will make only a trivial difference to global climate change. It accounts for a little over 1% of greenhouse gas emissions. It needs major polluters to join the game - China, US, India and Russia account for 50% of the global total.

If the UK unilaterally implements its own green revolution:
  • GDP and growth is about economic activity. It matters little whether that activity arises from running a hairdressing salon, building cars, processing food or building wind turbines. They all create wealth which is (mostly) spent in the economy.
  • the UK economy is dominated by the services. Forcing a green agenda may have some impacts - eg: imports of construction materials, shift employment from services to building solar arrays, reduce unemployment etc. This is complex and the impacts uncertain
  • if the UK takes the lead in a "green revolution" and associated technologies it creates an opportunity to sell expertise and knowedge to the rest of the world if they later follow.
  • If others don't follow, the UK still has the benefit of no longer being reliant on imported fuels (the North Sea is almost dry!). The economics of green energy are already approaching parity with fossil fuels.
There is a risk to committing to "green". But in my view the risk of ignoring the opportunities are far greater.

Women are THE ONLY WAY humans can get on this planet......it is women that have ultimate control over the size of the population....the future of mankind is in their hands.....and I don't think they totally realise it......

The problem is women are naturally disposed to wanting to have children, it's literally a biological urge for (the vast majority) of them and at the same time we incentivise having children.

The problem is women are naturally disposed to wanting to have children, it's literally a biological urge for (the vast majority) of them and at the same time we incentivise having children.
Agreed, but I'm not saying they shouldn't have children, but less of them. Evolution has decreed that only one of the human species has the ability to give birth (although I'm sure science - and the Chinese will find a way around this in time), but as has been so often said - great power comes with great responsibility and women need to exercise great responsibility with regards to the population increase - dealing with this ticking time-bomb is much more urgent that a ticking biological clock

The reporting about nuclear disasters in the power sector is almost universally overblown.
If you have ever worked the sector then you would appreciate the concerns. It could be that the numbers are just so big and yet it is an invisable killer, but unlike electricity and steam that are also invisable they can be controlled and turned off, radioactive material can be lethal for fifteen to twenty thousand years. It is like some immortal beast that we have unleashed and cannot control, we can only try and keep it in a cage because otherwise it will kill. Even today in places at chernobyl you could get a dose over 300 Sv/hr which is a lethal dose in around a minute. To compare, Fukushimia site in 2011 was around 1 Milli Sievert and for a CT scan you get around 10 m/Sv so I would say that the reporting is in context, people have a right to know the legacy we are leaving for at least the next 100 generations, what will they think and how will they judge us?

Is spending huge sums on a green energy revolution going to impoverish us all

The short answer to this question is yes.

I just moved here from Germany, where they pay over 30 cents per kWh for electricity, most of which is green tax. Meanwhile the media scared them into shutting their reactors after Fukushima, so they are replacing them with .... coal!

To make matters worse, since politically they cannot build new ones, they are looking for ways to extend the life of older, more dangerous reactors. It is all around a lose-lose situation, and yet the world points to them as the leaders, so I suppose it will continue.

I am pushing 60, and have moved around all my life, so I don't have much for retirement. If current trends continue, I will suffer energy poverty in my last years, as is currently happening to people in Germany.

and it didn't even have a containment building.
The containment was the reactor casing just like most reactors, and works fine until breached at which point you are in trouble. At chernobyl due to a chain of events they got thermal runaway and the cooling water boiled, the 1000 tonne reactor cover just lifted, then an explosion and the core was exposed and burning sending radioactive material into the atmosphere.

You should watch the film "Chernobyl" which is a realistic reconstruction. It emphasises what an absolute disaster this could have been to the whole of Europe if the wind had been different, and to the whole of the Mediterranean if radiation had entered the river.
No reason to think this wasn't true.
could have ... if ... if

I am pushing 60, and have moved around all my life, so I don't have much for retirement. If current trends continue, I will suffer energy poverty in my last years, as is currently happening to people in Germany.
Energy poverty is going to impact an awful lot of people, myself included because although we talk about global warming I seem to have the heating on for more months of the year than ever before and if we have to go electric then it will be freeze or starve.

The containment was the reactor casing just like most reactors, and works fine until breached at which point you are in trouble. At chernobyl due to a chain of events they got thermal runaway and the cooling water boiled, the 1000 tonne reactor cover just lifted, then an explosion and the core was exposed and burning sending radioactive material into the atmosphere.

Absolutely catastrophic. I'm sure the health effects of it were understated, but then again, the government allowed local residents to stay in pripyat (wasn't it for DAYS?) and get dosed while they decided how much they would admit.

I grew up just west of TMI and live just downwind from another power station now. I don't feel at all unsafe, but as a matter of sensibility, I do keep a box of IOSAT (potassium iodide) tablets on hand for my kids. They are extremely cheap and don't have to be replaced very often.

And I thought it took two to tango! I suppose these days men are surplus because you can probably buy the required fertiliser ready to go from Amazon, they do sell everything else.

I grew up just west of TMI and live just downwind from another power station now. I don't feel at all unsafe, but as a matter of sensibility, I do keep a box of IOSAT (potassium iodide) tablets on hand for my kids. They are extremely cheap and don't have to be replaced very often.
Thats a start but I would also want a full face mask with the correct canisters so I could evacuate safely and not get dosed up in the evac.

Last edited:
Back