Diamond Belt sticks against plate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyboy1

Reaction score
I’ve just aquired a Sorby Pro Edge ,I’m familiarising myself with the system,I’m practicing sharpening a ovss as l skew chisel (oval skew) ,I put my diamond belt on ,just to see how the edge will be,I set it at 15 degrees,the problem is,because the Diamond Belt is thick ,when I switch the machine on,it sticks and won’t rotate,Will I have to chamfer the back edge of the plate,?Or I’m doing something not right?

Attachments

• IMG_3198.jpeg
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I don't know that machine but looking at the image I would say the plate is pressing on the belt if you need it set at 15 deg? I would cut a small chamfer with a file off the plate.

I've just set mine to 15 degrees to have a look, and have a 3mm gap between the plate and the 120 grit ceramic belt. You could either change to a non diamond belt or see if you have a gap if you set it to 20 degrees, you'll probably find this angle a bit more user friendly anyway.

The diamond belt does look rather thick but, if it's not touching the tool platform as suggested above, I'd try adjusting the belt tension with the eccentric adjuster right at the top centre of your picture. If it is touching, I'd put shims under the tool platform before grinding the platform. Cereal packets make good shims!
Duncan

Last edited:
If the Sorby Pro Edge is anything like the Axminster Ultimate edge then you should be able to adjust the position of the platen.

Edit:
I’ve just looked at a YouTube video of a Pro Edge in action and taken a screen shot. As you can see, the Platen, or back plate as Sorby call it, is slightly below the level of the side plate at the back. Looking at your machine it’s noticeably above the side plate.

IMG_9243.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a thought, the knife sharpening jig for the proedge includes a raised backplate that lifts the belts clear so a long blade can be moved side to side along it's length without obstruction. As the machine is new to you it may have one of these fitted possibly as it would cause the problem you have I think.

https://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/product/robert-sorby-proedge-knife-jigs/

Just a thought, the knife sharpening jig for the proedge includes a raised backplate that lifts the belts clear so a long blade can be moved side to side along it's length without obstruction. As the machine is new to you it may have one of these fitted possibly as it would cause the problem you have I think.
Looking at Troyboys second picture that doesn’t appear to be the case. It looks like the standard platen to me?

Troyboy, all you need to do is remove the side cover and belt, loosen the two bolts with a spanner and see if the platen will move back a little bit.

https://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/product/robert-sorby-proedge-knife-jigs/
If it is a case of the larger raised Sorby back plate having previously been added I think it can be identified by a couple of allen nuts on the plate or by the larger size. (The Hewn &Hone equivalent I use doesn't have this.) The two plates can be seen here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22506427...5-0&campid=5338749386&toolid=20006&customid=G

Agreed. The top of the knife platen has the upper and lower edges angled downwards in relation to the belt, hence my earlier comment.

Last edited:
I’ve just aquired a Sorby Pro Edge ,I’m familiarising myself with the system,I’m practicing sharpening a ovss as l skew chisel (oval skew) ,I put my diamond belt on ,just to see how the edge will be,I set it at 15 degrees,the problem is,because the Diamond Belt is thick ,when I switch the machine on,it sticks and won’t rotate,Will I have to chamfer the back edge of the plate,?Or I’m doing something not right?
The Back Plate needs adjusting as far back as you can.

Back