DeWalt DWS780 Mitre saw dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
It's pretty rubbish when all the parts are working and a month ago the rubber flap on the dust tube tore meaning it folds in on itself and does an even worse job of extracting (well in theory, was bad to begin with so hard to really tell the difference).

Anyway... Today I tried to go too quickly through an unsupported piece, the wood jammed in the blade and managed to smash off the "dust port" below. I'm no engineer but can't actually see what this device achieves. It's cheap to replace but I can't find any instructions or videos on how to actually replace it so I guess what I'm asking, does anyone know how effective it is at helping with the dust collection or can I just leave it off?

20230201_121906.jpg

I have a similar dewalt mitre saw with the dust extraction kit fitted - I might as well not bother with it as the collection tube that fits into the base has a small diameter aprox 12mm that constantly blocks even when connected to my vacuum. So much so I use it outside most of the time , if using inside I put a dust sheet at the rear of the saw and use a gulper ( I think that’s the name) to catch as much as possible. Depending on your situation you may want to replace it or use it without and see how much mess it makes .

Try this simple trick, just push the extractor hose into the pop up bin.
Total cost £2 to 4 quid.
1675289578309.png

I have a similar dewalt mitre saw with the dust extraction kit fitted - I might as well not bother with it as the collection tube that fits into the base has a small diameter aprox 12mm that constantly blocks even when connected to my vacuum. So much so I use it outside most of the time , if using inside I put a dust sheet at the rear of the saw and use a gulper ( I think that’s the name) to catch as much as possible. Depending on your situation you may want to replace it or use it without and see how much mess it makes .
Currently using without the dust port (as its broken) and have cut away the rubber flaps that kept folding in on themselves... maybe placebo effect but actually feels like net net the dust extraction is marginally better. House is currently a worksite but I agree, would never use this inside, not even a garage/workshop unless a proper after market dust extraction unit is built around it.

Yes I love 💕 my dewalt110 v- had it about 25 years now and it’s never let me down- no services no parts just a few blades . However the dust issues is annoying if it happens to be raining so I’m thinking about upgrading to to one of those fancy festool kapex saws as several members on here say the extraction on the kapex is excellent. Just a pity about the price.😩😩😩

Yes I love 💕 my dewalt110 v- had it about 25 years now and it’s never let me down- no services no parts just a few blades . However the dust issues is annoying if it happens to be raining so I’m thinking about upgrading to to one of those fancy festool kapex saws as several members on here say the extraction on the kapex is excellent. Just a pity about the price.😩😩😩

I have the KS60 - the smallest of festool's offerings. Dust extraction is good but not perfect - I gather the bigger brother KS120 is the best for dust collection but don't expect miracles, it's still a mitre saw!

It's pretty rubbish when all the parts are working and a month ago the rubber flap on the dust tube tore meaning it folds in on itself and does an even worse job of extracting (well in theory, was bad to begin with so hard to really tell the difference).

Anyway... Today I tried to go too quickly through an unsupported piece, the wood jammed in the blade and managed to smash off the "dust port" below. I'm no engineer but can't actually see what this device achieves. It's cheap to replace but I can't find any instructions or videos on how to actually replace it so I guess what I'm asking, does anyone know how effective it is at helping with the dust collection or can I just leave it off?

View attachment 152466
How interesting, we got one of these machines last autumn, I think within the first week someone smashed this little gizmo, broke into 3 bits, new one was ordered but the bit they sent out was very differant. So I made one on the 3D printer (it was an interesting thing to draw, and do it accurately, I learnt a few new tricks drawing it)
x-Dewalt-Repair.jpg

But I see this new bit has now been broken, so it didn't last long either.

I'm not sure what its purpose is, it certainly does not improve dust collect having it fitted, it is utterly hopeless at collecting dust.
I had wondered if its main purpose was to stop larger bits of debris getting into the dust shute?

How interesting, we got one of these machines last autumn, I think within the first week someone smashed this little gizmo, broke into 3 bits, new one was ordered but the bit they sent out was very differant. So I made one on the 3D printer (it was an interesting thing to draw, and do it accurately, I learnt a few new tricks drawing it)
x-Dewalt-Repair.jpg

But I see this new bit has now been broken, so it didn't last long either.

I'm not sure what its purpose is, it certainly does not improve dust collect having it fitted, it is utterly hopeless at collecting dust.
I had wondered if its main purpose was to stop larger bits of debris getting into the dust shute?
Lol I'm glad you've confirmed my suspicions of how worthless it is .. and that I'm not totally special by destroying my one 🤣🤣🤣 I think you could be right re stopping large fragments, maybe preventing them tearing the rubber surround over the dust shute etc.

Festool gear is great. I've only recently acquired a Festool dust extractor and sander but they have been smart and approached the market from the unique angle of "we will keep your workshop/worksite relatively clean" Vs the opposition "look how quickly we can put this 200mm screw into this piece of wood!!"

I have the KS60 - the smallest of festool's offerings. Dust extraction is good but not perfect - I gather the bigger brother KS120 is the best for dust collection but don't expect miracles, it's still a mitre saw!

I had the DWS780 and now have the KS120. The difference in dust and chip collection is night and day, but the KS120 is not spotless. I still have to clean up some waste at the end of each job, but nothing compared to the DWS780.

I had the DWS780 and now have the KS120. The difference in dust and chip collection is night and day, but the KS120 is not spotless. I still have to clean up some waste at the end of each job, but nothing compared to the DWS780.

Oh yeah my KS60 is a vast improvement over any mitre saw I've used before, I just wanted to point out it's not 100% so Bingy Man doesn't expect miracles.
My KS60 attached to a CTL Midi with a 36mm hose catches most of the dust on most cuts, a little always escaped but not the dust clouds I've had on other saws.

Old post but quick update:

Finally got around to ordering replacements for the parts I broke and got a new dust port whilst I was at it as the flaps on mine had gone (and I'd convinced myself they were beneficial to dust extraction).

Additionally, as per an earlier suggestion, customised a laundry basket hood.

So far the combo of that and the repaired dust extraction parts and I've got to say it's doing a superb job

20230731_130201.jpg

If that's the12" blade model, then, paraphrasing Jaws the original movie
"....Yer gonna need a bigger bin..."

😂😂😂 it is indeed. Will see how I get on with this but if it all continues to work as it has today then I'll knock up a custom/larger version I think 👍👍

Ooh nice find. I'll go measure diameter of my one in morning and see how much bigger the opening of those would be, thank you👍👍

Latest posts

Back