Dewalt DW745 [OR induction motor in unheated workshop?]

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Can it/ this kind of saw run as accurately as a decent cabinet, cast-iron bed saw?

I've got one and I would have to say no it isn't as accurate as a decent cabinet makers saw BUT this saw weighs 29kg compared to a cabinet saw of several hundred kilos.

My dewalt can cut to under 1mm of accuracy but the bed is pressed steel and isn't perfectly flat so the cut sometimes isn't exactly 90 degrees all the way through the cut, this can be seen when cutting thick rough sawn timber.

As for cutting 18mm mdf, it's like a hot knife through butter and the edge is perfect when using a decent fine tooth blade.

If I had a huge workshop area then without a thoughts hesitation the dewalt would be sold on for a decent panel saw.

Thanks bassound. It's a shame they can't come up with a lightweight bed that's flat - that said, the DeWalt site says it's a cast bed, could this be different from the one you've got/ is it a new development?

It’s a great saw and very accurate for the size/weight. I have the 54v cordless version and it has an excellent, and very flat and very well machined, cast alloy top. The fence system with its rack and pinion and adjustable flip-up support is one of the best I have ever seen.

It is not as accurate as a heavy weight cast iron cabinet saw as it was not designed as one. It is basically a site saw but it is accurate enough for me, +/- .5mm. The sliding mitre gauge is as pants as all mitres gauges are
but it is unbelievably light and very powerful. Mounted on the superb DeWalt 7400 stand it is a delight to use.

Chris just seen your question re tops. Not sure where the pressed steel bit came from unless it is an earlier model but mine is cast alloy and the mains version I was going to buy was cast too. Mine is a flat as a very flat thing!

I have one of these and I find it to be accurate. The top is flat and the fence is just amazing.
The other thing I would point out about this machine is it it really noisy. It really screams!

Cheers,
Chris

Mine will be cast then, I thought it was pressed steel. Mine is only a few week old, bought on the ebay 20% off sale.

Also as already mentioned, it's bloody loud!

Hmmm... Really helpful replies that have got me thinking. The saw would be for use in an unheated workshop, so I was planning to use it there and then pack away somewhere else when not in use. Noise doesn't matter the same way it would in the garage at home (where it'd possibly upset neighbours) but having read more about brushed motors and the noise of the Dewalt in particular, I wonder if I'll be comfortable using the thing, even with ear protection. I hate lots of noise and find it really hard to think when noisy tools are running. I get that most of the noise comes from the cut itself, but the thought that it'll start screaming the moment I switch on bothers me.

SO, in a complete change of direction: is a table saw with cast iron and an induction motor a complete no no in an unheated shed? There are gaps in it (around roof and double doors) for ventilation, but I'm guessing it's a question of keeping rust at bay?

I have the slighter bigger version (DeWalt 7491) but it's virtually the same as a 745. It's a great saw, I can't speak highly enough about it. Rack and pinion fence, great dust extraction.

Only downside is the noise, it really is a screamer as others have said, but with ear protection it's fine, doesn't bother me.

Chris152":2cajnh1z said:
SO, in a complete change of direction: is a table saw with cast iron and an induction motor a complete no no in an unheated shed? There are gaps in it (around roof and double doors) for ventilation, but I'm guessing it's a question of keeping rust at bay?

My Wadkin AGS lives happily in an unheated shed. I check it for rust from time to time n the winter, but it's not a big problem - I do keep it well waxed. If you do see rust just clean it off with wire wool and WD40 then wax.

Keith

MusicMan":157hc4bh said:
My Wadkin AGS lives happily in an unheated shed. I check it for rust from time to time n the winter, but it's not a big problem - I do keep it well waxed. If you do see rust just clean it off with wire wool and WD40 then wax.

Keith

Since I wrote my last post I've read around the site and it seems a fair few people say the same, Keith. I think my mind's just about made up to head down the cast iron route - now it's just a matter of finding one at the right price.

Really appreciate everyone's comments - a complete change of direction but I think the advice has helped make the right decision for me.

Cheers, C

Hot or cold is not the issue. A cast alloy bed can be smooth, or like an ants skateboard park. luck of the draw. I have a cast alloy top thats got a (relatively) huge dip just by the side of the blade.
Even modern cast iron cant be assumed to be dead flat.
Thats why 50 year old wadkin saws are selling for ridiculous prices.
Bear in mind that the de walt (and all the other clones), are built as site saws, and as such are within normal site tolerances.

Cast iron can be fairly easily kept clean in a damp environment, its not a deal breaker.
Most times, the cut is as noisy as the motor. Wear ear defenders, get used to the idea.

Worst case scenario is if the cast face is slightly bent in any way it could me machined out by any decent machine shop, that's if the face comes separate to the body.

sunnybob":3ovpmosw said:
Thats why 50 year old wadkin saws are selling for ridiculous prices.

I've been looking online and they can still be had for a decent price (I'm just assuming that they're ok and don't need loads of work, which could be completely wrong) - but once I add in the cost of transport they get really expensive. Free delivery and a 3 / 5 year warranty start to look attractive.

decent prices?
Every time i follow one on ebay it goes for the best part of a grand. Thats a 50 plus year old machine that 20 years ago was being sold for scrap iron.

find me one for 400 and I will buy it AND pay for it to be shipped to me.

Just spent best part of an hour trawling through the used sites looking more carefully at green machines. You're right, and by the time shipping's included - even within UK - you can get new (Axminster trade for eg) for that kind of money. What's more I have zero skill to sort out machinery that's not right, so every chance that'd be £££s more to come.

And from personal experience, there is a very good chance you will STILL have to work on the new machine. In the last 4 years I have bought 8 woodworking machines. 4 of them were unusable out of the box (50% failure rate from new). 2 more required parts replacements within the first 6 months (and I am a retired hobbyist, not using any of these for heavy or trade use).
another one needed work within the year.
The ONLY machine I have bought that has needed no work and is still working perfectly is a Makita router.
Its really time for this chinese disgrace to ended.

Back