dewalt drill problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halken

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up my 18v drill and pressed the trigger but nothing happened i shook it and it worked i thought it was a bad battery connection so i cleaned the terminals but the problem keeps happening i put it in reverse then forward some times it works and sometimes it doesnt.If i used it then put it down then go to use it again sometimes it works and some times it doesnt . I dont mind taking it apart to look for a bad connection but where do i look and if it is the trigger switch is there a way to test it out of the drill. any ideas lads i need this drill to work

If you suspect the switch, open it up and probe either side with a multimeter set to measure resistance - then press the switch. If it goes from high resistance to zero, the switch works.

I get this from time to time on mine but it's a physical problem i.e. the trigger won't depress properly when squeezed; a dab of WD40 around the edges of the trigger seems to help - it's so infrequent I haven't had the time or energy to delve any deeper, sorry!

Cheers, Pete

I had something similar happen to a cheapo drill a few years ago. Very intermittent working.

I replaced it with a newer one and then took the old one apart because I'm a bloke.

Turned out to be a break in one of the wires connecting the batteries together inside the battery pack. I never bothered fixing it because it was a rubbish drill (and because I'd lost some parts :oops: ) but I guess it would have needed a bit of solder to fix.

Simple test without taking it apart: Connect a small bulb/buzzer/motor... to the battery terminals. If it shows the same symptoms as the drill, you've found your culprit.

I had a similar problem with my Dewalt jig saw. In the end I took it apart and found a loose push connection at the switch. I was surprised it was only a push fit. I sqeezed the terminal gently with pliers and all was well afterwards.

Back