Dewalt 1751 Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the wrong blde size it should not pertrude out of the lower finger gaurd fit a 10"/ 255mm blade problem solved me thinks

Not for the faint hearted, I wouldn't, there are a lot of claims for this machines "capabilities" but this really isn't one that I would entertain.
Watched a few videos of people ripping with them, can't be any worse than my old saw.
As they say, Faint heart never F***** a little Pig.

I’ve ripped a narrow edge (3mm) off yellow balau hardwood using my dewalt radial saw …. pawls set low to the board and a slow feed rate quite successful

Yep, will get two ordered, one for crosscut, one for ripping.
I wouldn’t use that machine to rip.

Although it’s designed to and shows you in the instructions, it’s a practice now outlawed by Health and Safety.

I have a an old DW RAS in the corner of my workshop I bought used many years ago. Now I have to admit once set up correctly that the finish of a cross cut with a good quality blade is something to behold....it's almost a perfect finish even the mitres are spot on but it's a dangerous beast if used incorrectly and not a machine I'd use for ripping.

When the blade is turned through 90 deg and locked into the rip position, unless the fence is running absolutely perfectly parallel with the blade and I mean absolutely perfectly with the blade also absolutely perpendicular relative to the table surface then the piece can come back at you if it jams which is quite common unless properly set up..
It takes some time to set one up perfectly so that it's absolutely square relative to the fence as well as perp to the table in its travel across the table, it's very useful for cutting tenons or trenches/troughs so it does have its uses as well as ideal for cutting off lengths or trimming the ends off timber but I'd still stick with a table saw for ripping.

Once I managed to get a router bracket for my RAS it has opened up more uses for the table
I've got one of those kicking about somewhere. I used an Hitachi FM 8 router which had the correct collar size to try it but never really bothered with it though it was clearly good for routing the ends of pieces of work in conjunction with RAS travel.
I may just dig it out at some point and give it a try again to see if it's any good for use as an improvised router table though if it's anything like using the saw for ripping I might just give it a miss.

Was that a radial arm saw?

My point, how do you stop it, it's always climb cutting, even with the pawls fitted, wrong machine for rip cutting, in my professional opinion.
Eumenia, lovely saw.
1678351783637.png

The one I have is for my 2kw ELU router can be used for routing stair strings ,shelving rebates ect I will take some photos without set up and post later

Yup, it's a 10" saw. RAS are getting cheap now, worth looking for a 14" model with the 8 bearing roller head - much more rigid. I think even so, 14" is the max blade size, and in my humble opinion 12" suits it better.

Back