Detecting Metal in old timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone got any recommendations for a hand held detector for finding metal in timber. Seen old post recommending little wizard but doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Ideally need one that will detect down to a couple of inches at least.

Thanks

Kev

Not hand held but I fInd brand new saw blade in a table saw are excellent at finding nails in wood :(

Kev":14iqhpnz said:
Hi Guys,

Anyone got any recommendations for a hand held detector for finding metal in timber. Seen old post recommending little wizard but doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Ideally need one that will detect down to a couple of inches at least.

Thanks

Kev
a very strong magnet

Rare earth magnet. Ideally about third of a pencil size. It locates them very accurately if you use it sideways to find them and end-on for precision.
Doesn't go very deep so OK for planing but sometimes not for deep sawing - but things are very rarely that deep without showing at the surface on one side or another. NB you check after each pass through the planer to see if you are uncovering something.

You also need a parrot beak extractor.

Jacob":9lvzh393 said:
You also need a parrot beak extractor.

It's an open goal, isn't it?

A wise man would not let a parrot stick it's beak in his wood in the first place. The consequences are just too distressing to contemplate.

Hadn't considered R.E. magnet. May give that a go. Thanks Lurker, also find brand new planer blades manage to find them very well. Amazes me how much damage a small staple can do!

Magnets work well but a security guard style wand is quicker and more thorough in my experience. £15 or so off Amazon/eBay so not too expensive either.

Nelsun":1ef2iday said:
Magnets work well but a security guard style wand is quicker and more thorough in my experience. £15 or so off Amazon/eBay so not too expensive either.

That, sir, is an excellent idea.

We have a Springtime ritual in this household: some years back my then-teenage son was given a toy metal detector, which he wasn't really interested in, and dad appropriated (no morals whatsoever!).

As the weather improves, I take it out into the back garden, to our tiny lawn...
... and use it to find the buried pipe that takes the parasol for the garden furniture.

It's thoroughly invisible by the end of the winter as it's well below the surface to avoid hitting it with the lawnmower.
Very handy gadget, although frightfully insensitive.

After success, you have to be quite careful though, as shoving the parasol in too energetically will send a fountain of rusty water all over your shirt (DAMHIKT).

Latest posts

Back