Design help wanted for a workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernowman

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
After years of small DIY woodworking projects around the house, I find I now need to build a shed/workshop. Would not have a problem if it was fairly small, but I need to put down the end of the garden a workshop in the region of 24' x 12'.
I will have no problem building it apart from the fact I am useless at design when it comes to a structure like this (this is genuine - honest, I am not lazy). Therefore thought it would be easy to buy some plans for a basic apex roof workshop. Have spent ages online, looking at books etc and even bought a CD on eBay, but everything seems to be American orientated.
Anybody any idea where I can purchase a basic set of plans for this size of shed that will give me the correct timber sizes and spacings etc. for the uprights and roof trusses etc. - I don't want to get this project wrong. I want to clad it in either shiplap or t&g. No problems with the internals, insulation etc. or the base - can work this out myself from information that I have seen. Hopefully somebody can help - then I can start - will naturally post pics and details of what I build.
Any comments regarding pitfalls and problems would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard

Hello Richard and welcome.

I've been in exactly your position and you will find all you need to know here just by seeing what others have done. I don't think that there is really one right way, see the discussions here about the type of base (plinth, pads, paving, etc.) or insulation etc. When I built mine I got inspiration from the likes of Adam, Shultzy, mailee and many others. All have done different but excellent builds. What you want is something to fit your plot and needs.

One of the best things about building your own is you can make it how you want it. One of the worst things is that you have to make it all. I would imagine that plans would not always solve your problems. Some are quite close to the limit as you will see in fairly cheap sheds. Far better to over engineer as the cost is only going to be a few 10s of metres of 4x2. As long as you stick with sensible materials and spacings (say 40 - 60cm on framing) its quite hard to go to badly wrong (I hope) :eek:

Good luck and don't forget to show us how you get on. There are plenty of people here that will help you solve problems or answer questions if you get stuck.

Andy

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. If I was in your position I would take a trip to anywhere that displays sheds (B&Q, timber yards etc) armed with a pencil, paper and a camera. Note down all the design features you want, windows (how many, positions etc), doors, hight of roof, type of roof (pitch or pent style). Also take note of the timber sizes for the walls and roof trusses.

Armed with this info you will now have a better idea for of what you want but more importantly how much you can afford.

Most of the forum members who have built their own workshops have used 4x2 for the framing which is a good gap to put insulation in.

Floor construction is dependant on what the workshop is going to sit on.

Are you going to use pencil and paper or software to design it?

I agree with what's been said. 600mm is the maximum you should really use for centres/spacings of the rafters and vertical studs.

For cladding the inside, OSB would be a good choice if you don't mind the appearence of it - it's half the price of plywood in the same thickness! There's some debate as to whether or not it's actually good enough for an external roof covering, but it seems to be ideal for fixing vertically and anywhere inside.

Be aware that if you're going for a pitched roof construction, you could plan to use the roof-space as a storage area for timber, with small sheets of chipboard or ply laying across the ceiling joists. A lot of people on this forum seem to favour a pre-fabricated truss roof construction, where the two opposing rafters are fixed to the joist before fitting to the wall plates (this is as opposed to a cut-and-fix style.)

Definitely worth using the Search facility at the top of the page and using the term "workshop build" in a forum-specific search of this one.

Hope it goes well; do keep us informed. :)

Hello Richard

I am in exactly the same position and have searched and searched the internet for suitable plans but always finding something that might do but not really what I want. What I want to build is a 24' x 14' workshop.
I think the best thing to do is decide what size, where to locate it and where you want the door and windows, then do as Shultzy says and pay visit to B&Q so you can see how they are put together.
One other thing that I am doing is learning how to use SketchUp so I can draw it all to scale and see exactly what materials I need.
The other alternative is to buy one ready made at 3 times the cost and only half the quality,
Best of luck.

My only advice is start it as quick as possible. Building in the winter is no fun!

Thanks everybody, things are coming together and starting to go down on paper. Only decision I am finding difficult to make is what size timber to use for the roof trusses on a 12ft span. I am going to pre-fabricate these.
Certainly going to crack on fairly quickly as I do not want to build in the winter, even though down here at the bottom end of Cornwall we get quite mild winters - can't remember the last time I saw snow - only the occasional very light frost.
Richard

There are two ways to build a timber structure Richard, so called 'stick' and 'tother is panelled.
With stick construction you build on site piece by piece, pannelled is building a structure in panels, complete with cladding, then lifting them into position and bolting the separate parts together.
I favour the first, mainly 'cos things are less likely to go wrong, in my experience at least.
The major disadvantage of stick building is that you need help on site at all times.
16 inches is the standard for spacing, in fact if you look at a measuring tape it has a special mark at every multiple of 16 inches for that purpose.
With a pent roof I would recommend that you fix a vertical support in the centre up to the apex, converting the pent into two triangles. This is stronger and supports the rafters if you store much weight on them.

Roy.

Hello Richard. My workshop build is the one on my avatar and I enjoued every minute of it. If you have sketchup I do have the plans in that format that I could send you. It may give you some idea of how they are built. It is pretty straight forward joinery and not as complicated as you might think. I built every part of my shop including the windows and doors buy you could buy these to save time of course. My workshop measures 24' X 13' and I used 6" X 1" beams for the roof which has stood the test of time and snow not to mention storing a lot of timber up there too. Just let me know if I can be of any help. HTH. :wink:

mailee":2o4a955u said:
Hello Richard. My workshop build is the one on my avatar and I enjoued every minute of it. If you have sketchup I do have the plans in that format that I could send you.
Your workshop build looks really great - just the type of thing I am looking for. Just started playing around with Sketchup - can I take you up on your offer of the plans in that format?
Many thanks,
Richard

I use a mix of stick and panel. Stick built frames built on the floor, then lifted into place and finally clad. I use a box beam (approx 16x3") along the ridge then 3x2 timber at 24" centres covered with12mm osb for the roof. Walls are 63x38mm CLS. One thing i've learnt is build the floor as solid as possible - i've always needed to limit costs and in hindsight i should have spent a little more time and money on the floor. One of the slighly annoying things is a slight uneveness where the whole structure has settled over the last 4 years.

Ditto! My floor is in waves, I need more beams under the panels and it's going to be a pig of a job!

Roy.

Hi,
This is my planned project.
I will have to get professional help on the raft needed, The field next door is marshland although it only encroaches a few feet into my land, the ground is softish.
This is still work in progress, using solidworks ( not doing this in works time honest officer.! ) Yet to size up the timber structure and run an analysis. I am looking to add some stylish features.

workshopfullassy.jpg

Howard

I just read an article in Fine Woodworking's Tool & Shops Annual Issue (Winter 2007/2008) where the person built a double-garage instead of a workshop primarily to add re-sale value. Just a thought and the link to a blog with lots of great pictures can be found here http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=fw-thesmartshop

American based of course but interesting nonetheless.[/url]

Latest posts

Back