Descent Router Bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a couple of router bits for my college reproduction piece (no chance the college will have them, and I ain't wastin' time lookin') but don't know which ones to get.

Don't want to spend an absolute fortune on them, was looking through the Trend catalogue and they were about £50 each which is far too much. I'm sure they're cheaper from other places though...

If it's any use I'll need an 18mm dia straight cutter, length isn't too important, and a bearing guided trimming job, possibly top and bottom bearings.

Want good quality bits without costing the earth

Wealdon do excelent bits and are very reasonably priced. I think the Tornado cutters from Rutlands are pretty good too, and excelent value.

what they both said above

i bought a door framemaking set from Wealden about £70 for 2 cutters and they are excellent.

i have also had the tornado make from Rutlands which were ok also

Nick

One of the multitrims from Wealden will give you the diameter and both top & bottom bearings all in one with the added bonus of replacable tips, I use mine all the time.

CMT are also worth looking at, Axminsters do them.

Jason

I tend to keep an eye on ebay for bargain Trend cutters and I also have a few Perform from Axminster. They are budge priced but they do their job adequately :)

John

Wealden bits are excellent, but for real value for money you will have to go a long way to beat Tornado bits at Rutlands. Their sets are particually good value. If you keep an eye out they have them on sale every couple of months.

Cheers

Mike

motownmartin":3s171w6w said:
I'm nowhere near, but you know how thick I can be, eh Simon :roll:

:whistle: Thick?, I'm not saying anything [-(

Hint: Take another look at the thread title.

I've found Wealden bits to be very good value, CMT bits are also a favourite but stay away from the really cheap sets, they are a false economy, better to buy the best you can even if you rarely use them, i.m.h.o

Yes, I've also been surprisingly impressed by the quality of cutters in Axminster's Perform range - they're a lot better than the Silverline rubbish and seem sharper out of the packet.

I've had a lot of joy with Rutlands' Tornado TCT cutters also - if you buy them in their sets you'll get great value, I've found.

Always found that the best router cutters are Titman - not as cheap as others mentioned here but not as expensive as some people think and definately the best that I've ever used. They seem to keep their edge a lot longer than any other router cutter that I've used.

And they are the only British manufacturer of router cutters so it's also great to help support a quality British company :D

Ian

Another vote for Wealden here, wouldn't use any other.

Latest posts

Back