delta scroll saw service needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananas55

Reaction score
Hi Does anyone know where i can get my hand me down Delta model 40-560c 2 speed scroll saw serviced, I live in kent so somewhere sort of local would be good, but will to travel thank you in advance for help

I used to own a Delta scroll saw, but I never used it, so I swapped it for an Inca bandsaw.
But anyway, there is(or was the last time I looked) a forum here that is dedicated to all things scrolly.
You might get more help if you posted there.

Good luck.

Thank you, i just noticed the scrolling area I was a bit too keen with the question and put it in the wrong place- I shall ask in there

hi banana
dont know of anywhere you can get a delta serviced, its not difficult to dIY, there not a lot to them. Just had my Delta 40-570 fixed after breaking the adjustment lever, changed an arm inside the casing and oiled what moved, re- built the quick clamp and now it good to go.

bananas55":3q56fdrr said:
Hi Does anyone know where i can get my hand me down Delta model 40-560c 2 speed scroll saw serviced, I live in kent so somewhere sort of local would be good, but will to travel thank you in advance for help

Hi bananas55,

What is it you think needs servicing ?

Do you have a particular problem or do you just think a service should be carried out ?

The more info you give, the more we can help.

Cheers,
Scrollerman

Hi Scrollerman,

I have no idea how old it is, or how much use it has had. i cleaned it up a bit removed sawdust and spiders, tested it out on some wood it ran OK for a while and then it started to run fast /slow and then stopped the motor got very hot, re cleaned and oiled the bits according to the manual, ran it again with no wood, switched from slow to fast and there was a blueish spark from the switch - worried me a bit, 'cos i don't want to get electrocuted, should you switch it of before changing the speed? thank you x

bananas55":2y2o7382 said:
Hi Scrollerman,

I have no idea how old it is, or how much use it has had. i cleaned it up a bit removed sawdust and spiders, tested it out on some wood it ran OK for a while and then it started to run fast /slow and then stopped the motor got very hot, re cleaned and oiled the bits according to the manual, ran it again with no wood, switched from slow to fast and there was a blueish spark from the switch - worried me a bit, 'cos i don't want to get electrocuted, should you switch it of before changing the speed? thank you x

Hi bananas55,

First of all.....No, you don't need to turn your saw off to change speed and a blue spark from your switch indicates a less than perfect connection of the contacts in the switch.
I will endeavour to guide you through some basic tests you can do and cleaning the switch in question (as simple as blowing the dust out) will be accessible during the following instructions.
I often clean switches out as dust has a habit of wanting to live in them !

If the motor stops and gets hot then that seems to point to the motor still wanting to turn but not being able to.
With the saw turned off, try manually moving the arms up and down to see if there is stiffness in what should be a smooth movement.
If there is no stiffness then it points to the motor electrics or electronic circuitry in the saw having a fault.
If so, read no further as you need to get that addressed and that is beyond the help I can offer you except for cleaning the switch as previously mentioned.

If there is stiffness, do the following :
If possible, can you disconnect the linkage that connects the motor to the bottom arm ?
Yes, I know this can prove daunting if you've never done it before but it is fairly easy to do.
You'll need an Allen key ( 3 or 4 mm from memory) and a Posidrive screwdriver.
Undo the 4 screws of the black access panel that houses the On'Off and speed switches.
Pull the panel to one side to gain access to the motor/arm linkage.
Undo the bolt that connects the linkage from the bottom arm to the motor spindle and make sure you collect the spaced washer that is between the back of the linkage and the motor spindle.

The motor should now be free from any connection to the arms.
Move the arms up and down manually and if there is stiffness, you have found the problem......The Bronze sleeve bearings need urgent lubrication.
(Many Bronze bearings are self-lubricating but can still become dry dependent on many factors)

If not, try spinning the motor spindle by hand and if it doesn't spin freely, then the motor is at fault.
If this is the case, it's likely to be a bearing in the motor which really makes it uneconomical to fix unless you have the knowledge and tools to carry out the job.

If none of the above helps, try blowing dust out of the switches as it's amazing how many switches fail through dust incursion !

If you need more help, I will help if I am able.

Scrollerman

Latest posts

Back