• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Degree?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
They're entitled to their views, of course. I'd be a bit concerned at being treated by a doctor who holds these views though as I would have zero confidence in their personal integrity in following the Hypocratic Oath. "Sorry, can't give you this treatment as it's against the Koran"

My other question is why is it only islam that seems to breed these intolerant nutcases? Or is it a question that Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism all equally have their nutters but that the press demonise Muslims? Any affirmative answers require documentary evidence!
 

paultnl

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
356
Reaction score
0
Location
Ely, Cambridgeshire
RogerS":1qiaxr5q said:
My other question is why is it only islam that seems to breed these intolerant nutcases? Or is it a question that Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism all equally have their nutters but that the press demonise Muslims? Any affirmative answers require documentary evidence!
I think you will find it happens in all religions, people who choose to live their lives on the basis of their particular brand of "Sky Fairy stories" rather than the evidence of their own eyes are by definition not rational.

As for the press, that is another can of worms.
 

Digit

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2007
Messages
10,222
Reaction score
0
Location
Wales
A Muslim Doctor recently refused to examine my daughter. His first question was 'are you menstruating?'
For a back injury?

Roy.
 

studders

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2009
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
0
Location
Petts Wood, Kent
So it's OK for me to ignore any theories, history or religious belief because that does/may not agree with mine yet still expect to get a qualification for which study of them is part? Daft.
 

Modernist

Established Member
Joined
21 Jan 2007
Messages
929
Reaction score
0
Location
Matlock UK
More fool us if we allow such views to be accepted.

Won't do the course - don't get a qualification- can't practise.
 

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
18,140
Reaction score
805
Location
Derbyshire
At least the Mail seems to be on the side of Darwinism, which surprised me.
 

Modernist

Established Member
Joined
21 Jan 2007
Messages
929
Reaction score
0
Location
Matlock UK
Jacob":is2t8fei said:
At least the Mail seems to be on the side of Darwinism, which surprised me.
Only because it allows it to take a racist point.
 

Modernist

Established Member
Joined
21 Jan 2007
Messages
929
Reaction score
0
Location
Matlock UK
Digit":2mdf0bmv said:
Islam is a race? Did you miss the comment about Christians?

Perhaps you'd be happier with a comment from the Guardian?


http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... NTCMP=SRCH

Roy.
Of course Islam is not a race but the Mail spouts such populist propaganda that the OP's story is heaven sent for it. The point was that it would not normally be so scientific.
 

Digit

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2007
Messages
10,222
Reaction score
0
Location
Wales
The point was that it would not normally be so scientific.
No?
Recently the Guardian published an article about a climate 'skeptic' having changed his mind, made quite a spread about it.
Unfortunately, IMO, they failed to mention that his co author disagreed completely, in fact the Guardian didn't event mention her name. The Mail published the full report, both pro and con. Not bad eh?

Roy.
 

RogerP

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2011
Messages
3,785
Reaction score
2
Location
Gloucester
Digit":3nuxzmjk said:
A Muslim Doctor recently refused to examine my daughter. His first question was 'are you menstruating?'
For a back injury?
Roy.
Was this NHS doctor? Did you report it?
 

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
18,140
Reaction score
805
Location
Derbyshire
Digit":3pklfw2j said:
...
Recently the Guardian published an article about a climate 'skeptic' having changed his mind, made quite a spread about it.
Unfortunately, IMO, they failed to mention that his co author disagreed completely, in fact the Guardian didn't event mention her name.
So what, why unfortunate?
The Mail published the full report, both pro and con. Not bad eh?

Roy.
Bad. An excuse for airing the silly person sceptic point of view.

NB When where was all this, any links?
 

Modernist

Established Member
Joined
21 Jan 2007
Messages
929
Reaction score
0
Location
Matlock UK
RogerP":1jid428b said:
Digit":1jid428b said:
A Muslim Doctor recently refused to examine my daughter. His first question was 'are you menstruating?'
For a back injury?
Roy.
Was this NHS doctor? Did you report it?
I'd be a bit careful there and avoid jumping to conclusions if I were you. I don't suppose it is unknown for periods to cause back pain. But then again I am not a doctor, saw, muslim or otherwise :D
 

Dibs-h

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2007
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
11
Location
West Yorkshire
I read it in the Sunday Times yesterday and once past the "shake head, is this real" bit, I found myself wondering

1. What relevance is Darwinism or in fact Creationism to a Medical Degree? I'm struggling to find an answer other than none.
2. Does being awesome in either make for a better GP, Surgeon, etc.? Highly doubt it.

I personally see no point in either being studied in a Medical degree. Had it been me on the course - I would have boycotted the lectures, from a "not wasting my time" perspective, and better spent the time reading up on some other course material, etc.

My 2p worth

Dibs
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
Modernist":2heeddx0 said:
RogerP":2heeddx0 said:
Digit":2heeddx0 said:
A Muslim Doctor recently refused to examine my daughter. His first question was 'are you menstruating?'
For a back injury?
Roy.
Was this NHS doctor? Did you report it?
I'd be a bit careful there and avoid jumping to conclusions if I were you. I don't suppose it is unknown for periods to cause back pain. But then again I am not a doctor, saw, muslim or otherwise :D
Not sure that Roger did jump to any conclusions unless Roy was being exceptionally selective in his choice of words which I rather doubt.

He said that the Muslim doctor refused to treat his daughter and the assumption is that that was because she was menstruating. Perhaps Roy could confirm that that was the case. If so then damn right the doctor should be reported.
 

Pvt_Ryan

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2010
Messages
943
Reaction score
0
Location
North Down, Northern Ireland
Dibs-h":1ifqmjnu said:
I read it in the Sunday Times yesterday and once past the "shake head, is this real" bit, I found myself wondering

1. What relevance is Darwinism or in fact Creationism to a Medical Degree? I'm struggling to find an answer other than none.
2. Does being awesome in either make for a better GP, Surgeon, etc.? Highly doubt it.

I personally see no point in either being studied in a Medical degree. Had it been me on the course - I would have boycotted the lectures, from a "not wasting my time" perspective, and better spent the time reading up on some other course material, etc.

My 2p worth

Dibs
#1, I suspect the relevance is the biology which is referenced in the article and Darwinism is pretty important for biology in fact it is pretty much key to many concepts.
#2, Don't know about you but I'd rather have a doctor who gets A*s in Biology and fails RE rather than the other way around. Call me old fashioned but I would kinda like the guy doing the operation to know where everything is instead of relying on 'GOD' to guide his hands.
 

wobblycogs

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2009
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
0
Location
Gloucester
Echoing what Pvt_Ryan said I believe biology is a required subject for medicine and you can't learn biology without learning a good deal about evolution. When I was studying chemistry we used to get medical students attending our first year organic chemistry courses all the time (they were completely useless at chemistry though).

I doubt evolution has much bearing on the work of your average GP but you've got to remember that not all the people that qualify as medical doctors go on to become GPs. Some go in medical research and a good understanding of evolution is almost certainly very valuable there.
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,391
Reaction score
78
Location
In the eternally wet North
Pvt_Ryan":rjpokjrr said:
.....
#2, Don't know about you but I'd rather have a doctor who gets A*s in Biology and fails RE rather than the other way around. Call me old fashioned but I would kinda like the guy doing the operation to know where everything is instead of relying on 'GOD' to guide his hands.
Or worse still, based on the scribbles and mutterings of some old guy wandering around a desert.
 

Digit

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2007
Messages
10,222
Reaction score
0
Location
Wales
Was this NHS doctor? Did you report it?
It was, yes she did. The health authority claimed that he had the right to treat whom so ever he wished, or not!

So what, why unfortunate?
Because I would have expected better from them.

Bad. An excuse for airing the silly person sceptic point of view.[/quote

Seeing as your next comment shows that you haven't read the report Jacob you know norrhing of the view espoused nor the qualifications, experince, arguments etc of the individual involved, just like the Guardian.
Any links? Yes, take a stiff drink, grit your teeth and read the Mail, at least then you will see how the Guardian applies its own censorship.

I'd be a bit careful there and avoid jumping to conclusions if I were you. I don't suppose it is unknown for periods to cause back pain.
She wasn't menstruating, hadn't been for a week and was there on referral from the same hospital having been ealier admitted tied to a stretcher from the pain having taken a fall.

Roy.
 

Latest posts

Top