Decorative desk columns

Help Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


New member
16 Sep 2019
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a desk similar to the image and it all seems within my capabilities (mostly standard cabinet making plus the use of a router for all the edging) except for the crafting of the decorative curvy vertical columns at each corner .
I will therefore be looking to buy these parts but I have no idea where to start or what to search for - my efforts on google so far have come up blank. Does anyone know what these corner pieces are known as or where to source items like them? Or failing that, any suggestions on something i could repurpose for the job - i had originally thought decorative bannister posts might work but not found anything suitable.




  • desk.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 154
I did something similar on some brackets for an oven extractor canopy.

Basically I just cut 3 pieces of 1" MDF to the curved shape, bullnosed the edges of them and stuck them together, gave the same effect.
Thanks for the replies - palisters is the word I should have been looking for, cheers Jonathan!

Thanks Doug - I'm going to have a go at making them as you describe - should be able to use my router to get the right effect and means more flexibility choosing the dimensions!

Thanks again.
Beautiful desk in that photo by the way. Please do post up pics of your version or better still a work in progress thread. I’d definitely enjoy following that.