decoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at piercing but unfortunately I am by no means an artist. I can pierce the wood no problem, (well after a few disasters) but it is the designing I am having problems with and I have a few questions about this aspect.

Is there somewhere I can get templates of leaves, lace etc.
Can I download any designs and transfer them with carbon paper
What do people use to get the designs evenly spaced round the platter or bowl.

Hi Alex ...

Not certain if this may be of some help .. but for doing some drawings, which I guess may help in 'laying out' the basic shapes to begin with..

A set of 'French Curves' may be a good starting place ?

I use the ones I have to (try) and get a handle on 'design' ... I got mine from the local 'Staples' store.. cheap as chips !

Apologies if I'm talking about something which you already know about !
HTH ...

FrenchCurves_L.jpg

alexf":2c63g0kf said:
I would like to try my hand at piercing but unfortunately I am by no means an artist. I can pierce the wood no problem, (well after a few disasters) but it is the designing I am having problems with and I have a few questions about this aspect.

Is there somewhere I can get templates of leaves, lace etc.
Can I download any designs and transfer them with carbon paper
What do people use to get the designs evenly spaced round the platter or bowl.

Alexf

Have a look at Jenny Starbuck's site http://www.artycraftywoodturning.com/hints6.html
I am sure it will help you very much. She did a demonstration at our club and was also demonstrating at Alexandra Palace.

Fred

you could always try cutting out pieces using a Scroll saw, i use one one time to time and they are quite easy to use, just make sure you have good blades.

Hi Alex,
AT a demo at our local club (quick plug The East Yorkshire Woodturners) we had Joey Richardson and she described how to put an image onto her work.
Having selected the image from say computer clip art, book etc. photo copy and then turn the paper over so that the image is face down onto the wood.
Then the next step is to use a Xylene transfer pen which is like a large blunt felt tip marker and rub that over the paper at the back of the image. The Xylene soaks through the paper and transfers the image onto the wood and with modern photo copiers the resolution is superb so no fine detail should be lost.
Now if you cant find a Xylene transfer pen Xylene is the thinner used with synthetic coach paint and is readily available. A moisened cotton bud could be possibly used as an applicator.
I hope this information will help you and anyone else looking for a way forward with piercing,
Regards,
Ian

I have been thinking about giving it a go, what will you be using a dremmel?

That was my intention but on doing more research it seems they are not fast enough. Scottish Woodworking Exhitition is next week. May get more information there.

alexf":2r7xi0z9 said:
I have been thinking about giving it a go, what will you be using a dremmel?

That was my intention but on doing more research it seems they are not fast enough. Scottish Woodworking Exhitition is next week. May get more information there.

The dremel does work but it depends on the cutter you use for piecing.

There is a really good book on turning decoration called Decorating Turned Wood - The Maker's Eye.

Also search here for Philip Streeting's pdf books.

Back