Declogging an Orbital Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an easier way of declogging an Orbital Sander's sanding sheet. I've tried to use a stiff brush but end up removing the sand on the sheet too. Could it be the sanding disks themeselves being at fault. I sort of remember something about sanding disk that resist clogging but can't for the life of me remember what they are called.

This is while sanding down mdf and filler if that makes any sense.

Try taking it off and roling it around some dowel, then bang it on your bench or you can buy a stick to de-clog belts.
I would guess it would work on disks to

John,

I think the sanding sheets you are referring to are called "open coat". Basically, they have fewer sanding particles embedded on the backing material and are therefore more resistant to clogging.

Hope this helps

Paul

Also read somewhere that scrunching up a plastic shopping bag tight and using that on a sanding disc/sheet/belt work. Not tried it myself.

Matt.

I have seen Matt's solution at an show but never done it myself. I have used the usual latex blocks as used for drum sanders - they work fine.

I use a product from 3M thats made in Canada. Lasts longer and does not clog. Quick shake and brush and off you go.
The are ever so frightfully expensive down here. Must be imported via the UK then the EU, then the far east - all adding on their bit of tax. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I use spare bits of plastic bathroom waste pipe rather than the special latex blocks.

Seem to work very well and there is always some odd size pieces knocking around in the garage, or even if you bought some specially would only cost a couple of pounds for two metre lengths which would then last you about twenty years :shock: :lol:

Found a holder.
Its called 3M Sandblaster Sandpaper.
According to 3M
"Cuts 3 times faster
Lasts 3 times longer
Clog resistant"

I have no complaints except the price.

Phil

If you have a tube of gone off silicone, cut the end off the tube and make sure the silicone has fully set, or leave it for a few day untill it has.

Cut away the tube, and you have yourself an excellent abrasive disc/belt/pad cleaner. 8)

Thanks for all the info.

Trying to sand with newish sandpaper that just ain't doing its thing is a pain in the err... armbones. I'll try it tomorrow but after hand routing then orbital sanding I fell like my arms are just about falling off to go around banging anything.

Do you ever get the feeling like you are still vibrating even after you have put the sander down and walked away?... or is that a sign that I've been ddddddooinnngggg itttt tttoooooo llllongggggg 8-[

Sounds to me you are using the wrong grit paper if it is taking you to long .
Just a thought.

philpolish":2ojfjxzk said:
Sounds to me you are using the wrong grit paper if it is taking you to long .
Just a thought.

Nah... just a lot of sanding to do... work on a router table plus work on decorating as I've been levelling the walls and paintwork with filler and sanding them flat.

I just am glad I got that Trend Airace dust mast. :)

Back