Decent SatNav app for Android phone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
My trusty Samsung Ace II came with a free nifty Navigator app. It's just had to be replaced after developing a fault and, as happens with all technological 'improvements' the very thing that you find most useful has been removed.

So I'm after a free satnav app recommendation. Voice directions essential.

TIA

I have a samsung galaxy s3 and I think the google maps is fantastic and I use it all the time. Only niggle it can get confused with sliproads, so I tend to look what I need to do in advance so I dont have to rely on it when I have to make a split second decision.

Yeah it does have voice nav I use Google maps all the time. Look up the address press the car button bottom right and then start navigation and it should speak straight away

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I use google apps over my Navman and garmin sat navs now. Is really good. But it does use a lot of battery power so keep a charger for the car with your phone

You might like to look at OSMand which is based on Open Street Map. In many places, OSM is more detailed than Google Maps for businesses and points of interest.
You can download maps of all of UK or local areas in more detail, so it will also work on an Android tablet with no mobile data service. (The rest of the world is available, where mapped. )

Your use is not (AFAIK) shared with GCHQ or CIA. and you don't get ads.

Apologies for jumping in, but how useful do you find SatNav apps?

I've played with various applications on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and think they're next to useless as they require connection to a mobile network. That may be okay in a city/area with good connectivity, but it's sods law that the time I need it I'm out in the country and there's no mobile network available.

My old TomTom on the other hand is fantastic - quickly locates satellites, plans sensible routes and works in the remotest locations.

Mark

I use Google maps on my phone (HTC) and so does the other half (Samsung)
Much favored over her cheapo satnav.

Mark I'm sure theres a way to download maps beforehand so you don't need internet while traveling.

chippy1970":zre3t8lx said:
Mark I'm sure theres a way to download maps beforehand so you don't need internet while traveling.

That's the big benefit with OSMand - you can download the map you need while at home and don't need any mobile data service.

I used to use the inbuilt google maps on my old htc desire. However when i upgraded to the samsung galaxy note, the volume was extremely low and couldn't be heard over the engine no matter what i did. After trying a few i now use
http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/

Which can be upgraded to the tomtom maps

Try Navfree, it works with the phone offline, although you do have to download the maps to your phone (best done while using wifi :wink: )
Use it all the time round London and so far has been spot on :D

I splurged on TomTom for Android (I've got all of Europe and all of North America) when it came out - no regrets, it works perfectly for me on my very basic HTC One V and my tablet with no need for mobile data, unless you choose to pay for the extras such as live traffic (which I do on a month by month basis, as and when I'm working somewhere with more people than cows). It was quite a bargain on promotion at release, but I believe it's pricier now. If you go for the full coverage options like I did then I think the option to install to an external data card is pretty important - there's a handful of GB of data there for each app.

The problem with Google Maps is that the instructions are far too late. I'm off out of the roundabout before it tells me to.
I shall try NavFree.
S

Steve Maskery":2cap9kqg said:
The problem with Google Maps is that the instructions are far too late. I'm off out of the roundabout before it tells me to.
I shall try NavFree.
S

Weird I've never had that

chippy1970":1qpmevsk said:
Steve Maskery":1qpmevsk said:
I shall try NavFree.
S

Weird I've never had that

Nor me. If anything I find that I am taking an early turn rather that the one I need. Especially so in cities and towns where roads are close together. Mind you, this was using the 'much-favoured-but-now-lost-in-action' Navigation.

I also echo the sentiment made by carl regarding the volume level. Have yet to try it out in anger but suspect I may find it too low as well.

Mark Aspin asked how useful are SatNav apps. Very! Mine came into its own last week when I was down in London for my AME and struggling to find my way around ...I soon learned that the SatNav should be listened to rather than rely on my own memory following a quick glance at the map.

It also helps with SWMBO in the car because although she is a competent navigator and map-reader, because she need two pairs of glasses ..one for long-distance and looking at road signs and names and the other pair for looking at the map, she is constantly swapping them over...by which time we've overshot big time. I've got grumpy and WW III has started. The talking SatNav alleviates all of that :D

One thought that has occurred to me and that is 'Are you using your phone' in the context of 'do not use your mobile phone while driving'. Or is the law more specific ? As in 'Thou Shalt Not Speak' or 'Thou Shalt Not Text'.

Latest posts

Back