David Charlesworth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am posting this as a friend, David's condition is very serious and he has been hospitalized in Germany for the past two weeks. I spoke to someone close to him this morning and there has been some improvement, not much but at this stage "some" is good.
As a self employed craftsman I know what a work stoppage like this can do. While recovery is the most important, the reality is David like most of us, needs to work. He derives a part of his income from his royality on books and DVDs. If you have been considering a purchase NOW would be a good time and a great way to show your support. On that note please be aware that online rentals DO NOT pay the author and illegal downloads are killing the DVD business.

Please keep David and Pat in your prayers.
cheers
Rob Cosman

Hi, Rob

Please let him know we all wish him a speedy recovery, and can you keep us up to date with his progress.

Pete

Hi Folks, I spoke with David's assistant yesterday and there has been more improvement. While still very sick and in need of hospitalization David is responding. He may be moved back to a hospital in the UK as soon as next Friday.

Rob

One of our twins came down with pneumonia last winter and although not hospitalised it still frightened the daylights out of us.

I hope David is able to make a full recovery.

Andy

Yes David, I have learned a good few tricks from you so I am in your debt, as I doubt you have learned any at all from me. And Jim learned to throw whisper shavings into the air from you too (only slightly annoying, that).
Get well soon.

O.K. this may be serious. Surely someone here knows family etc - I suspect many of us would help sort this out, but I am uncomfortable about a request for funding on a website.
If this is true and we can help, then time is of of the essence. A Paypal account for donations is offered on the link, to his assistant, John: [email protected]
Someone who knows what is going on needs to come forward I think. (Chris Bagby, Highland Woodworking seems associated with the appeal too ).

Good enough - have sent a few bob... I think the 'buy a DVD' etc is not a great way - eventually the few percent gets there.

Just think about it - a few quid from a few hundred of us??

EDIT NOTE: the recipient is showing 'unregistered', but the funds are so far unclaimed. Also, mark the payment as 'gift' then Paypal does not deduct the rather high Paypal fees.

Completely legit! John is taking care of things while David and Pat are in Germany. You can call Davids contact number found oni his website www.davidcharlesworth.com and speak to John. When we decided to do this I was in a rush to fly to the WIA in Cincinnati and since David did not have a paypal account we decided to use Johns. John and Pat text back and forth but he usually waits to hear from her so as not to pester. Here is the latest news that I posted on some of the other forums this evening;

"Hi Folks, Pat said in an email today that David ate a bit of food. He is confused and very weak but showing some improvement. The hospital in Munich is working to get him transferred to a hospital closer to his home in England. He is breathing on his own but still needs oxygen however this is a big improvement over last week. He will need to be hospitalized for sometime yet however his condition is looking up. Thanks for your support. More as it comes.
www.davidcharlesworth.com
Rob "

The idea of buy his books or dvds direct was to channel the funds directly to David as opposed to a retailer. I would like to see the response pick up, as of yesterday it had not been much. There have been a few donations in the past couple of days so that is nice to see. As someone said earlier if a lot of us just sent a little it could make a major difference for Pat and David.

cheers
Rob

Perhaps someone could promote this post onto the main woodworking section, and add a link to the woodcraft blog that seems to have the most up to date info on his condition. I think more people would like to be aware - tried to myself but I don't have the permissions to add links.

Having learned this sad news on Ron Hock's Blog - it seemed a pity that I could find mention only on US sites until I came and specifically searched this site and found many of your good wishes here. Perhaps we should be a bit less 'British' and reserved about showing how much we appreciate having David within our community - I have never met him but his books and articles make me feel I know him and owe him a debt of gratitude for the knowledge he shared.

HI FOlks, great news on the CHarlesworth front. David was moved out of ICU today to a normal ward. They are trying to arrange transport to a UK hospital on wednesday. I spoke to John this morning and orders for his books and DVDs have been fast and furious! Great to see this kind of support being poured out. Good on you!

Pat and David are most appreciative.
cheers
Rob

Back