Dave's Workshop Refit... At Last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, as promised here are WIP pics of the shop refit. Haven't been on the forums in ages; been busy with this and also my PC got infected with a very nasty trojan. All sorted now, its nice to be back :D

The 'before' pic
3063306017_d17fe50796.jpg

Walls and floor painted, cabinets and table saw back in
3063306019_aa881f6f19.jpg

Insulation and vapour barrier going up
3063306023_059cc1bbf2.jpg

Then 6mm MDF
3063306033_aa6b463077.jpg

Thats the ceiling finished
3063306043_f454d1dc3e.jpg

Let there be light...
3063327843_b3ca2934b8.jpg

Everything back in
3063327849_1bb9a0f5a4.jpg

Shelving with the Jet air filter above it. Nearly killed myself lifting it up there
3063327857_cdf77f0cf5.jpg

Table saw station. The table saw cabinet just needs slightly adjusted for height
3063327869_1ccb9a74c6.jpg

Router table. Its actually the top off a MacAllister :oops: router table with a T11 bolted to the bottom and the NVR switch relocated. It works a treat and is very stable. It's great having large infeed and outfeed as well.
3063327871_afdddf3ea2.jpg

Really happy with it so far. Still a few things to do, but its nice just having an operational workshop back :D
3063327875_5ca28a3efd.jpg

DangerousDave, it's amazing what can done within a small place. A question - how awkward is it to use the router table when you are standing directly in front of it.

It actually isn't a problem, although I was a bit worried that it might be. I don't have to reach too far forward and having the extra infeed support helps. It's hard to see from the photo but there is actually plenty of room in front of it which means I'm not adopting awkward positions.

Cheers Wizer. With it being such a small space there's obvious compromises; the up and over door had to be opened when planing/thicknessing and the planer and thicknesser have to be moved out from the wall in use, as does the bandsaw if I'm cutting anything big. It's hard to think of a better layout though for a one car garage. Its based loosely on the fine woodworking article thats posted elsewhere here

Well done I'm continually amazed on this forum that other members go to great lengths and wonderfully skilfully build workshops but leave the walls as breeze block/brick/wood. Painting them white as you have done make it a much nicer/better place to work.

Super

Andy

Looks like an impressive use of limited space - I'm also envious of the amount of lighting your workshop has! :x :wink: :D

Have you considered adding some ceiling joists to create a reasonable storage area for timber and stuff overhead?

AndyBoyd":29zn6hl4 said:
Well done I'm continually amazed on this forum that other members go to great lengths and wonderfully skilfully build workshops but leave the walls as breeze block/brick/wood. Painting them white as you have done make it a much nicer/better place to work.

Super

Andy

I'm absolutley amazed at how much difference there is just painting the walls and ceiling white. I added 2 single and 1 double fluorescents to the 1 single that I originally had, all run from 1 spur ( :shock: ) It takes a wee while for them to 'warm up' these cold mornings, but the level of brightness is fantastic

OPJ":3bgonz4w said:
...Have you considered adding some ceiling joists to create a reasonable storage area for timber and stuff overhead?

Storage is tight and timber storage a real problem. Was thinking about joist hangers etc... to create overhead timber storage at one end. What does everyone else do for timber storage?

P.S. This is the link to the fine woodworking design for anyone thats interested.

Thats a fantastic little shop, with some awesome tools in it!

One question Dave, you have the same Dust Extractor as me, how do you find it work using 100mm to all your items around the shop?

DangerousDave":1ofm4grg said:
Storage is tight and timber storage a real problem. Was thinking about joist hangers etc... to create overhead timber storage at one end. What does everyone else do for timber storage?

Well, this is my long term plan to help create a storage area - add a form of 'mezzanine floor' inside the roof space of my workshop. It may reduce the headroom and I plan on doing only half the length of my 'shop - otherwise, how will I get the longer lengths up there?! :wink: As my space is a garage shared with lots of junk, I plan on sticking all the boxes and stuff close to the eaves, leaving room in between for stacks of timber.

The alternative would probably be to build another shed! :shock: But even then, you'd really need to look at heating or dehumidifying to keep the moisture content of the boards down... :? Makes more sense to me if you can do all that under one roof. :)

That is a very nice use of space. It is also so clean it will be interesting to see how it evoles as you get down to work.
Owen

Cheers for the comments, guys. Olly, I'll follow the progress of your timber storage solution with interest.
Owen, yes it does look clean although I'm a bit anal about keeping the workshop clean and tidy. From a health & safety point of view its pretty much necessary in such a small space.

Chems":35qh68oy said:
Thats a fantastic little shop, with some awesome tools in it!

One question Dave, you have the same Dust Extractor as me, how do you find it work using 100mm to all your items around the shop?

Chems, it's actually a 63mm system with 100mm adaptors at the machines and extractor. I find it works great with very little loss of suction and no major probs with blockages, although I get some strange vortices at the 'manifold' beside the bandsaw and have to do some jiggery-pokery with the blast gates to clear it sometimes. You cant really see from the pics, but it runs from one side of the shop to the other at ceiling level. I used flexible 63mm hose for most bends instead of rigid 90' bends so there is a bit of 'give' and rigid 63mm pipe for straight runs.

Next thing to sort out is heating. The shop is positively baltic at the minute. Would love to have a wood burning stove if I could find somewhere to put it :D

That seems like a really good idea, I think thats probably what I will try and do when I get some decent extraction set up. And you find that model of dust extractor has enough puff to pull all around that system? I saw in one of the pictures as you mentioned the pipe going up to the roof and thought it must cross over and wondered as to the efficency.

Chems":di0yc7vz said:
That seems like a really good idea, I think thats probably what I will try and do when I get some decent extraction set up. And you find that model of dust extractor has enough puff to pull all around that system? I saw in one of the pictures as you mentioned the pipe going up to the roof and thought it must cross over and wondered as to the efficency.

The extractor is more than powerful enough; the router fence is the furthest away point in the system and the suction here is fantastic. By the time I can turn round to see stuff flying along the pipe behind me its already in the bag :shock: I previously had an earlex combivac with the 63mm system and the axi is much more powerful and efficient. Only thing I find is the bag fills up fairly quickly when planing or thicknessing. I've also got one of those Jet air filters. I'm amazed at the amount of airborne dust in the shop that I never noticed before (and was presumably breathing in). Definitely go for the 63mm system if you've a small shop like mine. I got mine as a Dakota kit from Rutlands and bought additional flexible pipe. Make sure you get enough jubilee clips though, I'm going to have to get more for the joins, and like I said use flexible pipe for bends instead of 90' rigid bends.

Very nice indeed Dave. Which of the Axminster extractors is it if you do not mind me asking? I need to put in an extraction system, probably 63mm and am still trying to decide on the best extractor for the job.

Cheers,

Steve.

Inless I'm mistaken thats the Axminster ADE1200. I have the Axminster AWEDE2 and hope it would perform about as well even thou it only has 850m³/hr as apposed to the 1200m³/hr that the 1200 has.

Yep, its an ADE1200. I'm very impressed with it's performance; was a bit worried about using it with a 63mm system but it performs flawlessly and I really can't detect a loss of suction with the reduction to 63mm which was something I worried about before I got it. Its also an awful lot quiter than the earlex :D
Chems, I dont think you'll have any probs with the AWEDE2 if you're running a small system like mine.

Latest posts

Back