Darkening pre-oiled wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony359

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My first post here. I'm just a DIY'er and I've built two speaker stands using plywood. I wanted them to be dark in colour so I used some dark oak danish oil I had. I've recently discovered Danish oil and I love it!

However, the finishing is not dark enough. I've applied two passes. What can I do now that the wood has already Danish oil on it?

Thanks for your help!
Tony

You can't do much, really, as it's ply so you can't sand it to any depth. Use a darker Danish or PU varnish is about all you can do, as a stain will not penetrate the existing oil.
Number one lesson - test your finishes on a bit of scrap first. :D

you could investigate a gel stain. i have not used it, but the idea is that it site on top of the finish.

i dont think that they come in shades as such- you would need to tint with an oil compatible pigment or dye. test first though before using it!

As marcros said, you can add a compatible dye. In this case, use either a spirit (alcohol) based dye or possibly an oil based one, although the latter are usually stains rather than a dye, i.e., they contain pigment as well as a dye. Personally, I'd go with adding dye rather than stain as my first means of experimenting.

If trying this add a little colourant, say 4 - 5%, by volume to your Danish oil to start with, do a test application, then if required add more colourant a little at a time until you get what you want, assuming this does the trick. Slainte.

Thanks.
I had a look around but could only find water-based dye. I'll keep looking - do you have an idea where I could find an oil/spirit based dye?

Tony

Simplest solution here is just to use a compatible coloured topcoat. Gel stain as already suggested by marcros is probably ideal, its thicker consistency generally makes it easier to get an even colour than with a coloured varnish (more runny) although that can work also.

Hello Phil,

took a while but I purchased the dye you recommended. It worked, thank you for your help! I'll make sure I test the colour on a offcut next time!!

Back