Darkening pine for colour-matching?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrris303

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've made a replacement raised panel for my friend's headboard. The headboard is a bit like a door on its side, with two panels set side by side, one original, and now the replacement one I've made. I was worried the original wood was darker than the replacement so I lightened the old wood with Liberon bleach until I was happy with the colour match, but this evening I gave the panels a coat of linseed oil and the original wood has gone back to being much darker..... (See attached picture...)

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can darken the new timber to match the old? Finishing isn't my strong point so I'm not too clued-up on stains, oils, waxes etc. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks very much.

Attachments

• 20151124_211800.jpg
    20151124_211800.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for the link, they look like some useful products. I guess I would want the wood ageing treatment if I went down that road, although I think the difference in colour with my panels is maybe more to do with different species of tree possibly. The original wood seemed naturally darker when sanded back, and in places quite red, whereas the new wood is just pretty standard PSE softwood from Travis Perkins.
Are there any stains etc which would allow me to darken the wood a touch without leaving a thick coating on the outside? So I could hopefully achieve the same final finish on both panels? (Not sure if that made any sense!)

Remember that pine darkens naturally over time with light and exposure to air, so if you darken it artificially it could end up darker than you want in the long term. I would be tempted to let nature take its course on this one.

Thanks that's a really useful page. I always like the sound of anything you can do with household products! I might just get some light briwax and see if that helps first of all.

Just be careful using any wax product on bare wood, remember it will in most instances be the finished surface and can not normally be varnished or lacquered over afterwards and very difficult to eradicate if not what you want.

Always try it out on a representative test piece.

RogerM":dsvsqoml said:
Remember that pine darkens naturally over time with light and exposure to air, so if you darken it artificially it could end up darker than you want in the long term. I would be tempted to let nature take its course on this one.

Thanks yes I was bearing that in mind but the darker original panel in the photo has been sanded back to what I assume is it's lightest "fresh" colour but is naturally slightly darker I think, so I was imagining they would both darken with age at the same rate and still remain different shades....
Or do you think sanding wouldn't work deep enough so expose light new wood on an old piece of timber? In which case it might not get any darker with age...

CHJ":36g4fqkd said:
Just be careful using any wax product on bare wood, remember it will in most instances be the finished surface and can not normally be varnished or lacquered over afterwards and very difficult to eradicate if not what you want.

Always try it out on a representative test piece.

I was going to try some wax straight on top of the oil I've put on just out of laziness, but as you said and as I just read in an old book, it's a good idea to seal the wood first anyway. Also I have tried the colour on a test piece and I think it looks ok, although I'm going to give it a lot more consideration before I go ahead with it... Thanks for the advice.

I have toned down pine with a wipe down with cold instant coffee. Let it dry off, then waxed the piece. This method worked a treat on a couple of pieces. Perhaps you could try it out on a piece of scrap?

to chemically darken try washing soda crystals and use a strong mix - try on a scrap piece first!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Some interesting tips and tricks! To be honest the more I thought about it the more I thought even once the new wood was aged and darkened it would still be a different colour. I think the new would end up much more gold in colour whereas the old was strikingly reddy-amber coloured...

Long story short I decided with all the time I'd be messing around with colour matching etc, I'd be better off just making another new panel from the same batch and be done with it! They're pretty quick to make really and I know what I'm doing there at least!

Thanks again for all the suggestions though. Definitely a lot worth remembering in this thread. Cheers everyone.

Back