Damaged compressor, help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a compressor purchased some time ago from one of the discount supermarkets, Aldi I think but can't remember for sure. It's a surprisingly good little unit for its cost and origin. Trouble is that it is obviously not the most robust thing and has suffered a couple of mishaps. Shortly after I bought it a piece of wood fell over and knocked off one of the air out let's. I managed to seal the damaged outlet with a bolt and PTFE tape and it worked quite happily on one outlet for the next few years, however the same thing happened again so now I am scuppered! Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement outlet assembly, I assume these are all badge engineered but given their cost I don't hold out much hope of spares being available . I tried the phone number on the manual but it no longer exists. I've attached a couple of photos that hopefully make clear what I mean. Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers
Richard

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 164
Try a power tool shop, they are a common thing, over here in France in DIY shops everywhere.

Hi

That's easily fixed - remove the manifold assembly and take it to somewhere like BOC or Air Products, they'll be able to supply the parts to make it function again, (if not look the same).

Is the manifold actually damaged or does it just need the broken threaded ends of the adaptors removing?

Regards Mick

Thanks guys,
PT that I need does look like the part, now I have seen it referred to a manifold it seems obvious what I should have been looking for! But yes a bit pricey, the compressor was less than £100 if I recall correctly.

Mick,thanks, if you look closely at the photos you can see the bolt I used to blank off the first failure. The original part extended to roughly where you can see the PTFE tape on the bolt. Into this was threaded a quick release coupler for the air line. When the coupler was knocked off the rest of the threaded section just crumbled as it is made from a really cheap alloy. There is just a couple of threads left that I managed to get the bolt started on and because the metal is so soft the bolt cut it's own threads on the way in! From what I can see the manifold is in one piece so I assume it is scrap and will need replacing in its entirety as per Powertools link below.

Now I know it's a compressor manifold I'm looking for I'll have a proper search, unless you know different!

Woodfarmer, thanks I thought of that but the only proper tool shop we have locally is a bit of a lottery, sometimes good sometimes bad! But the main problem is they give me the impression that they weigh you up every time you go in to see what they can get away with, if you know what I mean and I'm trade!

Thanks again, you've all been a great help.

Cheers
Richard

If you have a toolstation cat.its page 37 item 68322 a 2 pack then either 13901 or 22198 to connect to your hose. there a different connector but it will work out if you have a threaded connection to your hose (items are quick couplers and bayonet connectors)

From your pictures it looks that the broken part this time includes the pressure relief safety valve how ever you repair this you must include that.

Safety valve is fine, it's the sections in front of the two gauges, they should be about an inch longer with the quick couplers screwed into them, but when the couplers sheared off they took almost all of the threaded section with them.

Hi Old, the parts you identified are the same as the parts that sheared off, the problem now is that there is no thread left inside the manifold section for something like the part you found to screw into! Thanks for taking the time to try and help it is most appreciated.

Richard

If you can blank off the part where the metal has sheared off can you remove one of the gauges and use a few threaded fittings to extend the manifold and refit the gauge and a new fitting for the air hose?

Before going the replace route - which would mean removing / undoing several other components to get to it as I've done it myself, you could try a last hope and epoxy weld it.

Get some metal weld epoxy and 2 bolts of the SAME thread as the previous size - leave the one that's in there in place but take off the PTFE - pop the other one in place and liberally cover both in grease or oil.

Scuff up the remaining metal on the outlet.

knead up a bunch of the metal weld epoxy and knead it in place making sure you force it into the bolt thread, I'd try and cover as much as you can of the outlet, preferably right to the base of that section so the epoxy is braced at the back rather than just at the front of the outlet giving it a chance to "pop "off. (bang would be closer).

Once it starts to go off - the point where it's firmer than cheese, but soft enough to dent with your nail, a few minutes or so - you'll know when; twist the bolt out to refine and cut the new thread.

Leave it to fully cure 24 hours regardless of what the packet says.

I've seen epoxy welds like this stand up to the compression forces of an engine block without issue, and it sets just like iron (as it contains iron particles).

If you decide to not do this and just replace - PM me and I'll talk you through how to decouple that whole section, as it'll also require fiddling with the start stop switch above it - it's not too complicated.

Back