Daft question?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
Daft question - can you stack drawer slides on the same drawer? For example, if I wanted to build a drawer box that was 80cm tall, in order to assist with smooth running as well as weight management could I affix a set of slides at the bottom and another set higher up?

If you do so, how will you ensure each one takes its fair share of the weight? You will not do it just by screwing them in very carefully. You might need some kind of balancing/compensator mechanism

Also consider how heavy are the intended contents?
Ensure the bottom of the drawer is securely fitted to the sides or it will sag or maybe pop out - perhaps there is toom for a supporting rail to go underneath the drawer to keep the sides together and stop the sag

Not looked in detail but the side hung rails used in the IT industry for rack mounted equipment are pretty sturdy since the physical density of kit these days is immense, I'm sure way more than most folk would need

Another idea if this is a ‘floor level’ drawer with by wheels (suitable shimmed to touch the floor etc) underneath the base to take the load and the side rails then are purely guides.

Daft question - can you stack drawer slides on the same drawer? For example, if I wanted to build a drawer box that was 80cm tall, in order to assist with smooth running as well as weight management could I affix a set of slides at the bottom and another set higher up?
If the drawer parts of the slides are of the type that have to be tilted, or 'hooked', onto the fixed portions, then your proposal won't work.

Back