D i c k hand planes: any reviews out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
A long time ago, when I knew no different, I bought a Faithful No. 4 and block plane combo (in a nice wooden box) for only £25. I thought they were the bee's knees. I've only just decided to tune them (probably cost me more in sand paper than the panes were worth!), and although they're fairly shiny and flat now, I'm not really satisfied (e.g., the No. 4 is far off from square making shooting a bit of a joke).

Thus, I'm looking at a new No. 4 for Christmas (haven't told the wife yet!)

I'm torn between a

Dick No. 4

Or a

Quangsheng No. 4

With postage, both end up being about the same cost.

Although there's a lot written in various forums about the Quangsheng planes, there is nothing out there, that I can find, about the Dick planes, other than they are a distasteful brown colour and are possibly Quangsheng in make.

Does anyone have any reviews or know of any reviews of a Dick hand plane? They look nice and considering the German national characteristics for precision engineering, it seems likely to me that a company like Dick would only be willing to sell something that is good quality. The little blurb they have suggests they had a direct input into the design of the planes, further suggesting high quality.

Fromey":o8hw94rj said:
They look nice and considering the German national characteristics for precision engineering, it seems likely to me that a company like Dick would only be willing to sell something that is good quality.
Can't really help (although I'm sure a couple of our continental members have given their opinion in the Hand Tool section), but have to comment - you've not heard of Kunz planes, I take it. :lol:

Latest posts

Back