cyclone dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
My Yorkleen twin motor dust extractor seems to be clogging up with fine dust on the filter bags around the motors
I am using the above on a 100mm clear plastic piping with five blast gates on a run and into my cyclone . Should this be happening i thought all or most of the dust should go into the cyclone ? changing the bags around the motor every week ? Yorkleen not powerful enough ? Any suggestions

We need pics.

If it's set up right very little dust should reach the filters.

From what I understand a cyclone's main purpose is to separate the heavy dust and shavings from the extremely fine dust which will still make it to the filter, it's just your filter won't be clogged every other second with coarse shavings.

If there are any leaks in the bin or hose to it from the bottom of the cyclone you will get fine dust going to the filters. Your Vac may not have enough airflow either.

Pete

As inspector says it will more than likely be an air leak, practically nothing gets into my camvac even when sanding.

Check you have the cyclone piped up the right way round (usually in on the side and out on the top), then look for air leaks around the collection bin and that there are no obstructions in the pipe work or inside cyclone itself.
Failing that the air may not be achieving sufficient velocity to spin the finer dust out, especially if you have small diameter pipes attached to a large cyclone.

Sorry i have no time today for photo's' but in the new year i will be moving thing around into my new wooden workshop if all goes well so maybe ill take photo's of the new set up. I will also check for leaks ' thanks' all Mock

This is one subject that almost everyone has a different 'take'. I came to it after donating my elderly single bag 3hp extractor to the 'shed' in which I'm involved and went back to using a standard wet and dry vacuum cleaner to clear dust from my bandsaw and sanding machine. It was fine at collecting dust and chippings for about half an hour and then the filter became clogged. Having continued to use this setup for a couple of weeks I decided to try out the cyclonic device to see if it would divert the finer particles away from the vacuum cleaner's filter.

I bought one of the least expensive versions and a 50 litre plastic barrel with a screw-on lid, a total cost of less than £20. Assembled and connected up (correctly) I did about 6 hours of work on the saw and sander and on investigating what had accumulated in the barrel compared to the vacuum's filter I was amazed to find that the vacuum cleaner's container held only a few chippings, the rest, mostly dust, was in the barrel beneath the cyclone.
Case proven.

Checked for leaks today everything ok apart from i noticed the plastic blast gate would not close all the way .Time to order metal one's i think Mock

Checked for leaks today everything ok apart from i noticed the plastic blast gate would not close all the way .Time to order metal one's i think Mock
They suffer the same issue. They way they are usually designed means that dust gets trapped and stops the gate from closing. The home made wooden ones don't suffer the same issue as they pass all the way through both sides of the gate.

This is one subject that almost everyone has a different 'take'. I came to it after donating my elderly single bag 3hp extractor to the 'shed' in which I'm involved and went back to using a standard wet and dry vacuum cleaner to clear dust from my bandsaw and sanding machine. It was fine at collecting dust and chippings for about half an hour and then the filter became clogged. Having continued to use this setup for a couple of weeks I decided to try out the cyclonic device to see if it would divert the finer particles away from the vacuum cleaner's filter.

I bought one of the least expensive versions and a 50 litre plastic barrel with a screw-on lid, a total cost of less than £20. Assembled and connected up (correctly) I did about 6 hours of work on the saw and sander and on investigating what had accumulated in the barrel compared to the vacuum's filter I was amazed to find that the vacuum cleaner's container held only a few chippings, the rest, mostly dust, was in the barrel beneath the cyclone.
Case proven.
Hi Davey, do you have a link to the cyclone (and bin) you bought or where from please?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back