cutting reclaimed wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitch pine

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been having fun finding metal in reclaimed timber with my saw recently. Are there any saw blades (315mm) that can cope with the odd nail?......... or should keep an old blade specifically for these jobs.

On a completely unrelated note I went to a traction engine rally last weekend and came home with some fantastic elm timber cut on a lumbermate bandsaw mill. The guy was demonstrating the saw and the furniture he made (rustic benches etc.). Problem is the timber is so beautiful I daren't cut it! I should try and work how to post a picture.[/url]

If it's only an odd nail,I'd go for the spare blade option.
If it's lots,I'd probably get a metal detector (like the Lumber Wizard) and aim to remove them all first (or are you already doing that.. :wink: )

Andrew

I had looked into these blades 25.4mm arbour I think. My saw takes a standard 30mm blade.....I guess they want you to buy the saw too!

You could try blades made for pallet repair, the tips are better supported than normal - 315x30mm is a common enough size - good luck
Matt

Hi Pitch

I’ve been working my way through just over 1000 feet of reclaimed red wood which has come from local roof.
This stuff has 3 and 4” nails every 18” and felt nails all over the shop that’s on one side on the other is a skim of cement.
When it takes you (and it used to) 7 hours to resharpen the thicknesser blades you quickly learn to use a metal detector and nothing reclaimed enters my shop with out a going over with that first (the embedded stones where a truck has rolled over the planks is a different matter).
My advice cure the course not the symptom.
I now have a whole draw devoted to removing nails from crow bars to punches.

If I ever find out if/how to post a pic I’ll put some on.

All the best
Glynn.

Thanks for that Mr Forks. I too am good at removing nails etc. Maybe I am just becoming lazy! I was absolutley meticulous with a load of 4x8 pitch pine i bought that I built my workshop from. It contained allsorts up to 1/2 inch bolts. I got everything out of 720 feet........no short cuts I suppose.

Mr (I take it) Pine.

It’s been my expderience if you take short cuts they come back and bite you in the a*** and then it takes twice as long (if not longer) as you’re always trying to over come the problem you created.
It’s nice when youre looking at the finished article but by god reclaimed timber is a pain in the BUTT.
Still you gotta use what you got.
I’m looking at about 8 hours to get the timber from raw to wide board state and that’s just sorting enough board for a blanket box.
Oh what fun.
After a while you start dreaming at night of Oak and Cherry and other exotic hard woods.

Glynn.

I use a Wood Wizard, absolutely wizard!
Got mine from Aminster but I think they've stopped selling it now.

Roy.

Mr Pine.

I just use a Lumber Wizard from Axminster it does the job no questions asked.
I work for myself and charge £20 per hour so I don’t really want to spend £37+ on new knives and 2 hours (now) sharpening them.
In my little world with all this timber to sort it is well worth the expense.

Regards

Glynn.

Latest posts

Back