Cutting rafters with compound mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I may be cutting some rafters soon on two pitched roofs meeting at right angles and can't remember much about setting out the compound cuts.

I recently cut some "cripple rafters?"(ridge to valley) into an existing arrangement and set the CMS using a sliding bevel off some batten and the valley rafter, which worked out pretty well.

For cutting for a virgin roof I seem to remember that when marking out compound mitres for hand saw cuts it all got a bit complicated as the valley angles aren't straight 45 degrees, due to the effect of the pitch angle and probably involved knowing how to use a "rafter square" (I've forgot :oops: :oops: ) or phoning Pythagoras up. Is it necessary to do complicated geometric shenanigans on a CMS or do you just set the pitch angle and 45 degrees (or is it the opposite of the pitch angle...scratches head :? )?

Gentle answers for an silly person please, or links to an idiots guide :)

hi Ross
Get yourself the little blue book Carpenter's Metric Roofing Ready Reckoner by W.E. Gray (ISBN: 9780854420049) from Amazon's Book Store
cheap no nonsense and will have all the info you need for about a fiver.

Cheers Bern

Back