Cutting mitres without a chop saw or box! Who else has tried it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's another reflection trick I use but less often needed for most.
If you want an idea of how flat a plane sole is sight along it at a low angle towards something that looks straight.
Even if what you are sighting is not 100% you will be able to detect a distortion of the sole in the reflection.
Cheers Andy

There's another reflection trick I use but less often needed for most.
If you want an idea of how flat a plane sole is sight along it at a low angle towards something that looks straight.
Even if what you are sighting is not 100% you will be able to detect a distortion of the sole in the reflection.
Cheers Andy
Cool, I'll give that a go with my No7

The dip around the mouth on a plane as I understand it, is caused by the factory flattening the sole of the plane on a linisher and the abrasive belt flips up slightly into the mouth. But sorry Andy it actually is a problem when it’s the area in front of the mouth, that’s the important area you need that to hold the wood down for the blade and the chipbreaker to do their job properly.
That was how it was explained to us when I arrived at teacher training college in the 70s, all our Stanley Bailey castings were sent back by the college to be surface ground by Stanley. Ian

The dip around the mouth on a plane as I understand it, is caused by the factory flattening the sole of the plane on a linisher and the abrasive belt flips up slightly into the mouth. But sorry Andy it actually is a problem when it’s the area in front of the mouth, that’s the important area you need that to hold the wood down for the blade and the chip breaker to do their job properly.
That was how it was explained to us when I arrived at teacher training college in the 70s, all our Stanley Bailey castings were sent back by the college to be surface ground by Stanley. Ian
I use Stanley Bailey and my Stanley No7 and its Clifton iron is my best bud. I find the linisher problem interesting as mine had a dip which I got out with a coarse diamond sharpener and a lot of effort.

Apologies, I hadn’t realised that was you in the first video but I stand by it quite a character ha ha loved the video and yes I did sit all the way through it, and I thought I was a bit barking! hilarious I’m still laughing now. Ian
Lovely set up you’ve got there in France

Back