Quantcast

Cutting Mirror Glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My grandson has made a jewelry box for his mum's Christmas present and wants to put a mirror in the lid. I am planning on buying a mirror tile and cutting it to fit. My question is:

Do I run the glass cutter on the front of the mirror or the back?

regards

Brian

Dee J

Established Member
Reaction score
Mirror backing can be decidedly chewy and tough - so I think you'll have better luck scoring the front surface.

Dee

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure there is no safty backing to the mirror it might make it very tricky. if you can get to a glass merchant you should be able to get 2mm silvered glass which won't be as heavy.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Just be careful cutting it - remember break it and thats the next 7 years accounted for!! #-o #-o

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a fair few bits of old mirror doors now and then, always score the glass side, break it then run a sharp stanley up the safety backing.

Just like cutting plasterboard. Just watch when you fold the two bits to give a line to follow, that you dont peel the plastic back too far.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a mirror tile and cut on the front as suggested with no problems. The backing wasn't thick enough to cause any problems but I can see how it might be on bigger/thicker mirrors.

regards

Brian