Cutting List Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":3oflkt3u said:
cutting42":3oflkt3u said:
woodbrains":3oflkt3u said:
Hello,

Do these optimisation software get you into dead ends? I mean arrange boards that cannot be cut with say a tracksaw, because the software is optimised for CNC routing, which can start and stop cuts in the centre of a board.

Not that I'm going to get this software, I work out my cuts on a drawing board, or just do as Jacob suggests. Other times I might just tolerate a bit if waste, if I'm using veneered boards and think it would be better to cut certain parts for grain positioning. Software is useless here, because it cannot tell what the board looks like and where the nice grain is positioned.

It just occurred to me that nesting parts on a sheet to optimise material may not be cuttable with saws that need to cut end to end.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Jacob's rule of thumb point is fine and I use it as well but I used software when I had a lot of parts to work out and the software really takes the pain out of it.

My experience is that most assume a saw process rather than CNC. Here are three of nine sheets from one of my projects.
Interesting.
I'd guess the programme follows a sequence much like the rule of thumb - it certainly looks like it, except you don't seem to be using any offcuts, which would be easy to fit in with the rule of T.

I certainly uses offcuts, I have only posted 3 of the sheets here and they are not sequenced. As I specified grain direction for some (but not all) pieces you will see some pieces seemingly in strange places. You actually get a report saying the percent utilisation of each sheet and usually 3 different cut list layouts you can choose from.

Looks very clever Gareth, very smart indeed. I use computers all day at work though and don't really want one anywhere near my shed - I need an escape from the blighters!

Back