Cutting gauge recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
I have been asked what I want for Christmas, and decided that a cutting gauge would be handy.
I made one several years ago, which works in the main, but I wouldn't mind a proper one.
I am aware that Marples do one, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
I will mainly be using it for trimming veneers ready for the stringing and banding.

Thanks in advance
Simon

Thanks for the replies.

Fair comment from Pete, but Bod has got it spot on!
I have been asked what i wanted, and I just fancy a quality one.
It will be better than a pair of socks and a jumper. :D

Thanks again
Simon

I would make one and put it under the tree.

Pete

Hi Simon,

I have found that two cutting gauges are very useful for inside and outside cutting, that's if you don't want to keep re adjusting the setting each time (and gradually getting it wrong).

First one I owned was a Beech one by Marples (yellow thumbscrew type), the other is also Marples and its in rosewood, brass thumbscrew, (once I was earning proper money).

They both work as well as each other, the beech I later drilled to receive a pencil which I needed for producing rods, so the Beech one is the more versatile....but not the better looking of the two :D

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Dave

Hi Simon

I find a cutting gauge with a blade that may be sharpened works best. The Japanese cutting gauges typify this design, none more than Kinshiro, whose gauges are no linger available. Perhaps a good thing as they are Very expensive. But they are fantastic, and I made a version very cheaply.

Tools from Japan sell the Large Ryuma for $17. This comes with 2 blades for mortices ...

KinshiroOnTheCheap_html_561ca726.jpg

The bones are decent but need work. The body is about 3/4 the thickness of the Kinshiro. The blades are a little rough but have potential. The wing nut is difficult to adjust with one hand. And how to adjust one blade with one hand?

Here is the completed modification ..

KinshiroOnTheCheap_html_2e0e1b34.jpg

More details here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Cheap.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use my mortise gauge, on the other side there's a single pin, haven't felt the need yet to get a seperate cutting gauge, it works well.

Thanks all,
What I thought may be a simple question, proves not to be & you've all got me thinking now! :D
Do I make one, adapt/refurb one or buy new??
I like the look of the Japanese one, so may look into buying a second hand one or perhaps make similar myself.

Any other advice/recommendations will be welcomed, and will post photos should I make one .
Thanks again
Simon

Join secret santa and hope Pete gets you as his and makes you one. I received 2 of his marking gauges a couple of years ago and love using them

Thanks Droogs, glad you like them, and negatives I should address in the next batch?

Pete

Only thing I would suggest Pete, would be perhaps to place a small inlay mark on the top of the body to help see which at first glance is maybe the inner or outer facing pin.. I put a small black spot on 1 of mine. other than that they are great and a joy to use and so easy to adjust. :)

If you're going ahead on making your own there's another locking option I think is well worth giving thought to, using a cross-dowel. Good description of it here:
https://toolsofourfathers.wordpress.com ... se-gauges/

Dead easy to do, locks very securely and I think having the locking mechanism act at right angles to the beam is a better idea.

I am planning to make a batch, so I will let you know when they are done.

Pete

Droogs":ue3z9839 said:
Only thing I would suggest Pete, would be perhaps to place a small inlay mark on the top of the body to help see which at first glance is maybe the inner or outer facing pin.. I put a small black spot on 1 of mine. other than that they are great and a joy to use and so easy to adjust. :)

How about a different wood for the wedge one box and one rosewood? or an inlaid stripe in the end of the shaft.

Pete

that would look really nice Pete and be a great and easy way to spot the right one you wanted right away

Back