cutting bamboo flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody have any experience of cutting something as fibrous as bamboo flooring with a mitre saw. I'm kind of thinking that a standard crosscut blade is likely to tear a lot and wondering whether to get a blade with a higer toothcount. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pat.

I cut some bamboo blinds down to size on my mitre saw. First try was a bit of a disaster with it splitting and breaking. Second try with lots of masking tape around it went much better. Had to go very slow though.

HTH

Bamboo flooring is very hard and brittle but a mitre saw with a decent sharp blade will sort it cutting slowly.

Ray mears does quite well cutting bamboo with a machete when ive seen him on dave channel.

Would a jigsaw with a metal blade reduce the breakout?

For what its worth, in case anyone else needs to know, an SCMS with a 40T freud blade cuts perfectly with no breakout as long as you cut the boards upside down.

It's not ignorance Kris, I had to ask the same question when I first started out on the woodworking trail, SLIDING COMPOUND MITRE SAW, ask away mate, you won't feel embarrassed on this site.
Regards,

Rich.

Back