Cutters for Record 044 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB61

Reaction score
I have a 044 with one cutter-a 5/8". I have been unable to locate additional original cutters and I am wondering if anyone has successfully used other manufacturer' s cutters. It would be nice to widen the field of search.

Thanks

Cutters for the Record 044 are unique to that model. To fit cutters from another plane would require the machining of grooves on the back face.

You can either buy a replacement set from Ray Ilse, or keep a watch out on the 'bay' for a set of originals.

Cheers, Vann.

Roughcut":kwle2bhe said:
http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Ray_Iles_Plane_Iron_RI012.html

Im not sure if that's a reasonable price or not though?

Thanks. I will look into it, but I assume shipping will put it over "reasonable" for me. I have been watching ebay for over a year, so my definition of reasonable may change.

pip1954":3idu0c6c said:
hi i think there are some on ebay . not sure they are what your after but worth a look.
pip

I looked but could only find a set for a combination plane and someone earlier stated that the 044 blades were unique to the 044.

thanks

It's not impossible to cut the slots yourself in other similar blades for Record or Stanley planes. I have a few with user-cut slots in and have also successfully modified blades by cutting a side notch where needed. I just used a hacksaw and files.

RB61":6adjvait said:
I looked but could only find a set for a combination plane and someone earlier stated that the 044 blades were unique to the 044.
Er... that was me.

I have to admit I have no knowledge of the 044c, 045c and 050c cutters (or their Stanley equivients in the 12-xxx and 13-xxx series).

But I can tell you, you can't use cutters from 043, 050, 405, or Stanley 50 (either blade variant), 45, 55 etc - unless you do away with the depth adjustment. Then almost any cutter will fit, but you'll have to do adjustment the old way (tap tap, damn, tap tap, damn... :oops: ).

Or cut your own adjuster grooves.

Cheers, Vann.

RB61":2sf8zbeu said:
I have a 044 with one cutter-a 5/8". I have been unable to locate additional original cutters and I am wondering if anyone has successfully used other manufacturer' s cutters. It would be nice to widen the field of search.

Thanks

You can probably get a complete #044 more easily, and plausibly as cheaply as a set of blades. Curious, but true.

#044 and #043 prices seem to follow fairly severe trends on eBay, so just keep your eye open (or set up a search).

BugBear

50_44.jpg

The smaller cutters from a Stanley 50 combination plane will fit a Record 044 (but not the other way about). The pitch of the slots on a 44 cutter doesn't match the 50 adjuster, however the slot on a 50 cutter is wide enough to engage with the 044 adjuster as in the pic above.

Regards

Jim

Attachments

• 50_44.jpg
    50_44.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 2,632
Back