Curvy Oak Kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing, amazing, amazing. Sorry for the novice question; but I don't understand how the curved cabinets were made. I think that it was said they were machined from a solid piece of wood? That would mean cutting half a tree for just a little cabinet? It's so cool, would love to build something like that.
What tools would you use to create the curve, as you can tell I know nothing :oops: .

Jon,

Truly a professional at the top of the tree - lovely clean lines/beads/curves and all fitted so well.

Agree with others that some of the client choices detract from your work - but then they picked up the bill!

Please post more WIPs and jig details in the future.

Good luck for the future

Dave

Dal123":33cza1yj said:
Amazing, amazing, amazing. Sorry for the novice question; but I don't understand how the curved cabinets were made. I think that it was said they were machined from a solid piece of wood? That would mean cutting half a tree for just a little cabinet? It's so cool, would love to build something like that.
What tools would you use to create the curve, as you can tell I know nothing :oops: .

Its not quite a tree cut in half. The bottom and top rails of the curved doors are machined from a solid piece of oak but this is a plank 80mm thick and the curve cut out with a bandsaw. The curve is then machined with a spindle moulder using a template. The inner panel of the curved door is made up from 4 pieces of 1.5mm birch plywood with oak veneers front and back This is made by placing the plywood and veneers over a former. The veneer and ply are then glued and pressed into shape using a vacuum press which is a vinyl bag which the air is sucked out of to press the pieces into shape.

When I next do something similar i will take some pics as its easier to explain with a few pics.

cheers

jon

I would like to build a kitchen out of solid oak (bottom cabinets oak, top cabinets in mdf painted (swmbo's idea))

Where do you buy oak from? i.e. can it be supplied in say 4x2 12mm sheets and at what cost?

thanks

ps, very impressive work 8)

Wow I had no idea a vacuum press could be powerful enough to bend wood. I remember using a plastic press at school where the heated plastic would be sucked to mould around the mould.
You must have a turbo powered beast and must be very expensive :shock: . Thanks for your knowledge :D .

billybuntus":h9lx2kdn said:
Where do you buy oak from? i.e. can it be supplied in say 4x2 12mm sheets and at what cost?

almost certainly not as oak in those dimensions wouldnt be stable - particularly in a humid atmosphere like a kitchen. - you could edgejoint some narrower boards with a biscuit jointer or dom, but imo you might be better off looking at oak veneered mdf for the panels.

i buy my oak from vasterns at wooton basset or ukoak at corby - however these are both a way from you - check out john boddy's.

Dal123":d2aaug34 said:
They're not solid oak panels though they are jointed. What is the maximum size of solid lumber of oak you can buy?

They aren`t one piece Oak panels but they are solid oak. I doubt very much you would get a 2` wide piece of Oak to make a one piece panel from.
The widest i`ve ever bought is about 13"

Doug B":2f1xg4qq said:
Dal123":2f1xg4qq said:
They're not solid oak panels though they are jointed. What is the maximum size of solid lumber of oak you can buy?

They aren`t one piece Oak panels but they are solid oak. I doubt very much you would get a 2` wide piece of Oak to make a one piece panel from.
The widest i`ve ever bought is about 13"

ive got a two foot wide, 3 inch thick oak board which i intend to cut up for turning blanks - with a sufficiently large resaw this could be ripped down into two 1.5 in thick boards wide enough to be single panels - but it wouldnt be a good idea because it would cup like twittery as soon as the differential temp change of the inside/ outside of the cupboard hit it

so the side panels and doors are jointed on this kitchen? :shock: how on earth does it not show?

billybuntus":vp8i4axx said:
so the side panels and doors are jointed on this kitchen? :shock: how on earth does it not show?

Good craftsmanship (although if you looked closely enough you probably could see).

big soft moose":6q1b9c4c said:
but it wouldnt be a good idea because it would cup like twittery

Which is why the panels in the link are made up of smaller sections, more stable, but still a solid panel.

Back