Curved kitchen units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor

Established Member
Reaction score
This week I made these

I have done curved doors before but first time I have made curved drawers, quite interesting.

The curves were rough cut with a bandsaw and then shaped on the spindle moulder using templates.

This is 2 of the high line units stacked on top of each other, radius is 575mm
dsc0014wu.jpg

The drawer pack is 1220mm across with a 800mm radius
The drawer boxes are oak, drawer fronts are tulip wood to be painted
dsc0021mb.jpg

dsc0024ln.jpg

dsc0015w.jpg

dsc0016g.jpg

I like this alot! I think when i come to buid my own workshop/ showroom in the future, i'll include something like that.

Yeah come on Doc, spill the beans give us some more detail on the drawers. How are the fronts joined to the sides? Great looking piece indeed. :D

I'll post more when time permits, but the drawer box fronts are curved as well, then the painted drawer front is screwed on as per a normal drawer box.
The curved horizontal rails are rough cut on a bandsaw and then shaped on the spindle moulder using a 80mm high rebate block with a bearing.
By attaching curved templates to the top and bottom of the rough cut piece of work it then means the piece can be flipped over to cut with the grain.
Once all the pieces are cut, assemble like a normal door and hand shape the vertical rails to match the curve.

Drawer boxes are dovetailed at the rear and screwed and plugged at the front, with the sides running through to meet the painted drawer front.
Dovetailing the fronts would add a huge amount of work,the customer was made aware that the fronts would not be dovetailed.

They are lovely, so did you cut the curve from an existing far bigger piece, or did you bend these round somehow?
The bigger pieces of the cupboards , are they from some sort of bendy plywood or from the same sort of stuff; sorry for silly questions don't know anything about furniture carpentry but very interested - they look real nice. :D

Dal123":1q4lvjoy said:
They are lovely, so did you cut the curve from an existing far bigger piece, or did you bend these round somehow?
The bigger pieces of the cupboards , are they from some sort of bendy plywood or from the same sort of stuff; sorry for silly questions don't know anything about furniture carpentry but very interested - they look real nice. :D

All the curved pieces are cut from large lumps of 3" tulipwood, if carefully managed there isn't too much waste. So no bending just cutting and shaping

Back