Crunch time for the RO125 - help to decide?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":16y9xosm said:
Card scraper, or hand sand, I hate sanding noisy, dusty, and boring, so card scraper then wipe down with a scotchbrite pad between coats of Danish oil and jobs a good 'un.

Pete

except you need to be careful about damaging your thumb joints

When you say scotch brite I assume you mean the real thing?
I once used a green souring pad nicked from the kitchen and it made one hell of a mess

YorkshireMartin":1gwkdrou said:
How are you sharpening the 112? I'm looking at the 85 and lie nielsen say to just use a 45 degree bevel on it. Is that not the case with the 112?

I'm seriously considering picking up a 4.5 and the 85. Since I learned how to properly sharpen, I'm finding I prefer the finish of a plane to sanding. I just feel I *need* to have a working sander of some description at least.

To be honest Martin I try and avoid threads that feature the "S" words, sharpening and scraping. A lot of people feel very strongly about these subjects, that's okay except for some their passion seems way ahead of their actual experience in making real life furniture!

Still, here are some points that you probably won't find in the books but are none the less useful,

-scraping works best on harder timbers, on many softer timbers it leaves a slightly wooly or fuzzy surface that will certainly benefit from additional sanding. Why this isn't emphasised more in the books I don't know, but any experienced cabinet maker will tell you the same thing. On confused grain with very soft timbers you can still get tear out from a scraper just like with a plane. If you're working with a timber like Rosewood or African Blackwood you'll be delighted by a scraped surface. If you're working with Yew or Brown Oak it's usually not worth picking up a scraper no matter how sharp it is. And timbers generally fall along a consistent line between these extremes. ABW, isn't a particularly hard timber, yes you can scrape it and the results aren't terrible, but compared to what you'll see on a piece of Macassar Ebony with a freshly sharpened scraper, they're nothing to write home about.

-the theory behind the 112 is great, a massive slab of A2 steel that won't vibrate in action, and a long sole that removes any risk of digging in. If I've put 200 hours into a complex veneered table top I'd seriously think about using my 112 too if I had to scrape. The penalty you pay is that keeping that big slab of A2 steel in tip top condition is a not insignificant task. IMO it's just not worth the candle for the vast majority of scraping tasks, when a good old Stanley 80 will give an equal finish at a fraction of the time and (once you've used it for a while) and at only the tiniest increased risk of a dig in. Plus of course for a 112 to work the surface needs to be dead flat, the merest hint of cupping, crook or wind and all you're doing is flattening a surface with the least efficient tool for the job. The 80 still needs a flat surface, just not quite as flat and in practical terms closer to what you'll more likely encounter when working with solid timber furniture.

-a finished surface straight off a plane can be a lovely thing. But the practicality of it depends 100% on the subsequent applied finish. If you'll be using a film finish which requires any subsequent sanding or even abrasive buffing, then a planed surface or even a scraped surface just isn't all that practical. The reason is that as soon as the abrasive touches the minute ridges that planing and scraping leave behind, then you're straight through the finish and into bare wood. So, first decide on your ultimate finish, then decide if to plane or plane/sand.

Good luck!

custard":1zkspqmz said:
YorkshireMartin":1zkspqmz said:
How are you sharpening the 112? I'm looking at the 85 and lie nielsen say to just use a 45 degree bevel on it. Is that not the case with the 112?

I'm seriously considering picking up a 4.5 and the 85. Since I learned how to properly sharpen, I'm finding I prefer the finish of a plane to sanding. I just feel I *need* to have a working sander of some description at least.

To be honest Martin I try and avoid threads that feature the "S" words, sharpening and scraping. A lot of people feel very strongly about these subjects, that's okay except for some their passion seems way ahead of their actual experience in making real life furniture!

Still, here are some points that you probably won't find in the books but are none the less useful,

-scraping works best on harder timbers, on many softer timbers it leaves a slightly wooly or fuzzy surface that will certainly benefit from additional sanding. Why this isn't emphasised more in the books I don't know, but any experienced cabinet maker will tell you the same thing. On confused grain with very soft timbers you can still get tear out from a scraper just like with a plane. If you're working with a timber like Rosewood or African Blackwood you'll be delighted by a scraped surface. If you're working with Yew or Brown Oak it's usually not worth picking up a scraper no matter how sharp it is. And timbers generally fall along a consistent line between these extremes. ABW, isn't a particularly hard timber, yes you can scrape it and the results aren't terrible, but compared to what you'll see on a piece of Macassar Ebony with a freshly sharpened scraper, they're nothing to write home about.

-the theory behind the 112 is great, a massive slab of A2 steel that won't vibrate in action, and a long sole that removes any risk of digging in. If I've put 200 hours into a complex veneered table top I'd seriously think about using my 112 too if I had to scrape. The penalty you pay is that keeping that big slab of A2 steel in tip top condition is a not insignificant task. IMO it's just not worth the candle for the vast majority of scraping tasks, when a good old Stanley 80 will give an equal finish at a fraction of the time and (once you've used it for a while) and at only the tiniest increased risk of a dig in. Plus of course for a 112 to work the surface needs to be dead flat, the merest hint of cupping, crook or wind and all you're doing is flattening a surface with the least efficient tool for the job. The 80 still needs a flat surface, just not quite as flat and in practical terms closer to what you'll more likely encounter when working with solid timber furniture.

-a finished surface straight off a plane can be a lovely thing. But the practicality of it depends 100% on the subsequent applied finish. If you'll be using a film finish which requires any subsequent sanding or even abrasive buffing, then a planed surface or even a scraped surface just isn't all that practical. The reason is that as soon as the abrasive touches the minute ridges that planing and scraping leave behind, then you're straight through the finish and into bare wood. So, first decide on your ultimate finish, then decide if to plane or plane/sand.

Good luck!

Great info thanks again custard.

I think I've pretty much made up my mind as a result of all the information people like yourself have been kind enough to offer in this thread.

The RO125 is going to go back to Festool for a check under warranty. I need a sander for sheet materials anyway, so it seems foolish to sell it if there are other avenues available.

I've been in need of a larger bench plane for a while and had been strongly considering a 4.5, even up to today, but instead, I've decided to opt for the veritas bevel up smoother, which seems to win universal praise. I like the flexibility it offers so I'll likely get several blades and set them differently. I might even be able to use the rotex to knock down saw marks and then attack them with a more aggressive blade, before proceeding on to smoothing to remove the swirls. I gather a 38 deg blade with a 50 deg secondary offers a very fine finish even in complex grain.

If necessary I can later compliment it with a low angle jack plane.

In addition, marcros has kindly offered to let me try his scraper, so I'm going to do that with a view to at least getting a feel for scraping, before I dive in and buy a scraper for myself.

I hope I haven't completely lost my mind with these choices. lol

Seems drastic to send it back when you've already admitted* you're not wiping down between grits? A little more experiment and you could find the problem is solved, because if it's something like that, it's only going to happen again when festool send it back with a clean bill of health.

*couldn't think of another word, don't mean to come across as a pineapple** just would rather you found the issue.

**I wrote the word pineapple.

Wuffles":qvcirnwv said:
Seems drastic to send it back when you've already admitted* you're not wiping down between grits? A little more experiment and you could find the problem is solved, because if it's something like that, it's only going to happen again when festool send it back with a clean bill of health.

*couldn't think of another word, don't mean to come across as a pineapple** just would rather you found the issue.

**I wrote the word pineapple.

I'll try wiping down first for sure but I've a feeling it wont help, because it's produced spirals even on the first grit in the past. But, as you suggest, it's best to exhaust all possibilities.

On the plane front, I've changed my mind yet again :roll:. I've ordered the Veritas bevel up smoother, but I'm going to return it. Realised my sharpening stones are only 2" (I thought they were 2.5), which presents a problem. 3"x8's are £180 a set for DMT and there no point going budget on stones if you've gone for a decent plane I don't think.

So, after a big of digging about, it turns out that for almost the same money as the veritas bevel up smoother and the wider set of stones, I can have both lie nielsen bevel up planes, the 164 and the 62 (2" irons). I'll initially go for the 62 I think and add the 164 if I feel I need it later. That should be ample, with a few well set blades, to leave a fine finish. At least i'd hope so!

What a day...but I've learned a ton, both from the responses here (thanks all!!) and reading.

Many thanks everyone

+1 for the Stanley 80 scraper. Easy to use and very effective, then followed up with a card scraper for small local areas where necessary.

John

I think I'd try adding a interface pad between the pad and sanding disc, might help and doubt it could hurt
Perhaps try abranet instead of Festool sanding discs

Adam9453":3gxbesb8 said:
I think I'd try adding a interface pad between the pad and sanding disc, might help and doubt it could hurt
Perhaps try abranet instead of Festool sanding discs

Thanks for the suggestions Adam.

I thought about that but I just dont see why I should buy even more kit if it just doesnt work as well as it should. The whole point behind the hard sanding pad (which arent cheap) was to sand large flat surfaces, which it's doing, but not up to the standard it should be. Same with abrasives, clearly theres an issue if their own abrasives cant be made to work, and I have a fair bit invested in those consumables too.

I think it's just something with the RO125, i have other festool products and not a single complaint with any of them, ive been like a cheshire cat when using anything else from their range, its just this sander and others (if you believe the FOG forums).

I think you need to stop and take a deep breath.
You appear to be trying to find a short cut from developing basics skills by buying expensive kit,

Why can't a 2.5" blade be sharpened with a 2" stone?
In 30 years I doubt I have spent 180 quid in total on sharpening kit

As for sanding, not that I have a need to power sand much, but I have two cheap (sub £40) ros and arabanet and turn out satisfactory results

lurker":3r2hnmyu said:
I think you need to stop and take a deep breath.
You appear to be trying to find a short cut from developing basics skills by buying expensive kit,

Why can't a 2.5" blade be sharpened with a 2" stone?
In 30 years I doubt I have spent 180 quid in total on sharpening kit

As for sanding, not that I have a need to power sand much, but I have two cheap (sub £40) ros and arabanet and turn out satisfactory results

I know what you're saying dude and in some ways you're right, but it's not through lack of desire. In an ideal world I'd have taken an apprenticeship but nobody would have me at my age. I care for our little boy most of the time so what time I do have is very precious, I get maybe 2 days a week at most to follow woodworking and learn as much as possible, I have to cherry pick significantly and if theres a possibility to labour save, I take it, unless, like hand planing, I enjoy it. I'd rather not spend it trying to get the muscle memory for sharpening, for example, so I use a honing guide. That doesnt really allow me to use an angle that would make a sharpening 2.5" blade possible on a 2" stone, so I'd have to upgrade.

I buy high end tools because I know most of the time I can resell them at closer to what I paid if we don't get along. I've tried the other way around before in other things and it rarely works out. Just a question of being selective. The same reason as why I've gone over to entirely English machinery, i tried the alternative and was let down on multiple occasions by a poor product.

It's all situational. Throwing money blindly at a problem doesn't solve it, but buying smart regardless of purchase price, can. Have to be honest, the Rotex problem is a bit of a surprise as the rest of their kit is spot on and I wouldn't swap it for anything else I've ever tried. It's expensive though, so does need to work to the absolute highest standards, since the rotex doesnt, thats whats led me to take issue.

So short cuts yes, but show me someone these days who doesn't, in some form or another. Even Paul Sellers has a bandsaw. lol

Wuffles":384034za said:
Better steer clear of the Carvex then :)

I'm surprised that word isn't substituted on the forum for something less offensive, like cucumber. But I did hear they replaced it with an improved version, not that it gives them an excuse to churn out junk in that price bracket at all.

Wuffles":1xx5x1bi said:
That's the one I'm talking about. The 420.

I've not tried it, but I heard a lot of noise about the older one, at least I thought it was the older one. Have you had one?

I'm not that familiar with the Festool, but if they create the random action like everyone else does it could be a sticky bearing causing the swirl marks.
I've replaced many bearings for the BIL over the years on his and his boys sanders**.

** Car body repair workshop. Where the sanders are used from prep to finish, hopefully without leaving swirl marks :lol:

Back