Crosscut pen blanks for sale in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

You may or may not have seen another thread where I've organised a purchase of some unusual cross cut pen blanks from the USA. Whilst conversing with the seller via email I suggested he add some of his listings to the UK eBay site. As a result of doing this he has received an order for a substantial number of blanks from a well known retailer of all things woodturning. I won't name names at this point for various reasons, but suffice to say that they should be available for purchase in the UK rather than from the US in the reasonably near future, should anyone have been tempted but nervous of buying from overseas. Naturally the retailer will want to make a profit so prices not on an 'at cost' basis like the one's I've arranged!

If anyone see them for sale commercially I think it would then be appropriate to add a comment to his thread with the retailers details.I may contact the retailer in the interim and see what they say about a pre-announcement.

Cheers,

Neil.

That was Lucky Neil. I seriously thought about making my own substantial order with a view to doing the same thing.

Funny old world innit? You never know who's watching

You and me both! Although I don't think I've really got the time if I'm honest, the seller did suggest I might act as an 'agent' for the UK.

I haven't yet had a response about the best shipping cost for a 224 blank box by the way, which I might still buy anyway if it works out to be economic.

Neil.

I have plenty of time. ;)

I still wonder if there is a market for selling pen blanks to our members here. They can be cheaper because no eBay fees and postage can be realistic.

What is the differance between Crosscut and normal ones. It may be obivious to real penmen but I would like to know please. REgards Boysie

HI

Normal pen blanks have the grain running the length of the blank.

Crosscut blanks have the grain running across the across the blank.

So with normal blanks you are cutting side grain with crosscut you are cutting end grain all the time.

john

boysie, normal wood blanks are cut along the grain, as crosscut are cut across the grain. like this dyed curly maple.

P10101172028Medium29.jpg

P10101202028Medium29.jpg

JPT , Greggy, thanks for the info, I had kinda figured that to be the case.
But had read or seen a DVD that suggested that cross grain was not the ideal timber for forming Pens or Pencils. REgards Boysie

Back