Cross-trainer regime advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I had a nice thing happen over the w/e. My boss gave me their hardly-used elliptical cross-trainer. It's quite similar to this one:
spin_prod_887760312

To my slight disappointment, a pretty girl wasn't included, so I have nobody to explain it to me (and I married a very pretty blonde some years ago, anyway, so have no need, he said quickly, just in case...). I've fitted it together and tried it out.

It's a posh one, apparently, with a pulse rate monitor and an electromagnetic damper so you can vary the amount of effort you use, and it will tell me how far I've "walked," how long that took and how many calories I've expended doing it, too. (I stopped at ten calories, to be on the safe side, as I'm not very fit and don't want to overdo it).

It's also got programs where it will change the effort required over time, so, for example, you can have different sorts of complex five-minute workouts, apparently.

I needed something. I find walking on pavements quite uncomfortable for short periods and really regret it hours later too. I must get fit again and this doesn't have the percussive effect of heel hitting pavement that causes most of the pain later. But I've no idea how I should go about selecting the settings, etc.

It is pretty heavy though, with an 8kg flywheel and lots of steel tubing, so worst case I can just take it apart and reassemble it, repetitively. That would do the arm muscles. James May eat yer heart out...

Before I stoop to that (literally), can anybody recommend something to read or watch on the internet for advice on how to do this? It's usually fit people advising fit people, and I really need someone healthy taking pity on a weedy layabout.

E.

PS: Having initially spent a frustrating hour or two assembling it, I now know why it's a called a "cross" trainer. I still have no idea what the official reason is, of course.

I thought you were supposed to be the smart one on this forum? It's not rocket science! You put you hands on the foot pedals, rest your butt against the screen and fold your back 270 degrees around the doobly-doo. I don't know what the girl in the picture is supposed to be doing, ..what a newb!

It's called a cross trainer as it simulates cross country skiing.
Anyway, how to use it, as it shows . Lol. Do 10 minutes on what you feel comfortable at for a week (3-4 times) Then do 10 minutes with it slightly harder for then next week. Then do 15 at that setting, then 20 then 30. Now start using the programs. Either staged ramp up sessions where it gets progressively harder the eases off or intervals where it goes Easy hard easy hard. Do these sessions for 30 minutes. You can adjust the intensity and pressure but dont go below you previous 30 minute level. Do these for about 2 weeks. Then start upping the intensity and pressure.

Should get you started anyway.

Oh and use the handles and try to move in smooth elliptical motions with your feet.

phil.p":jjizaifx said:
Swmbo had a nice one. It got in everyone's way for three years until she gave it away.

But lifting it up to remove it provided good exercise!

BugBear

RogerS":1yvgom7i said:
Rather than slog away ad nauseam, look up HIT (High-intensity Interval Training) and apply that

that is not a good idea for someone who as he says above has a low basic fitness level. It is a very very quick way of getting injuries if not managed correctly. what I said above will give you the basic fitness needed to then consider avenues like HIIT (which I alluded to above but did not stake out).

You need a minimum of 4 weeks good cardio work before even thinking about it, else you'll end up with muscle strains and possibly worse (ligiment damage, tendon strains etc.), not to mention the strain you'll be putting on the vascular system if you jump straight in.

get your basic fitness up, then give HIIT a go, it isn't for everybody, it is very very intense if done correctly and should leave you feeling screwed once over, it's why most people don't stick with it.

note: I do use HIIT as part of my routine, normally minimum of 2 long runs a week and 1 short HIIT run mixed with 5 cycles and 5 HIIT cycles (really just intervals but harder)

novocaine":38v91c4z said:
RogerS":38v91c4z said:
Rather than slog away ad nauseam, look up HIT (High-intensity Interval Training) and apply that

that is not a good idea for someone who as he says above has a low basic fitness level. It is a very very quick way of getting injuries if not managed correctly. what I said above will give you the basic fitness needed to then consider avenues like HIIT (which I alluded to above but did not stake out). ...

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Even if he has low levels of fitness then he will only be able to exercise for a very short period of time to begin with as his fitness will be self-limiting way ahead of causing any injuries especially on something like a cross-trainer. Had Eric been suggesting using free weights then, yes, I would agree with you.

Having said that Eric should check out with his doctor first before embarking on anything strenuous.

I've the same one (but also missing the lady). So here is my two pennies-worth.

As it has a pulse monitor - that is your 'safety device.
Its best to use it at a rate that is comfortable with your bulk, initially at a low intensity. If you find your legs / arms are moving too fast at a very low intensity, increase it somewhat so you are not uncomfortably 'flying' around.
You need to find out what is a safe pulse rate for yourself (use internet resources, which take in weight and age). So, you try to exercise to keep your heart rate at that level, no higher. You will probably find that one of three things will limit you - either stamina (muscles run out), or your breathing (can't seem to get the air) or your pulse rate edges above the exercise rate you've established for yourself. You will need to stop at that time. Even if you've only managed a couple of minutes.
Your challenge is to do this regularly, so that gradually it takes longer before you reach your limit. For me, I started out at about 5 minutes, and then added typically 10 seconds a day. Slow going, but in a month I was doing 15 minutes, and 2 months, I was up to 30 minutes (once a day). Huge difference.

I found plotting graphs of time, and also calories burnt was quite motivating.

If you find boredom becomes an issue, which it will (for me, once I was doing 20 minutes, once a day, in the evening). I added a small TV on the wall, but the signal wasn't great. Ended up listening to 'talking books', which are free to download onto my iphone via my local library. The time flies with those.

PS - the nut on the pivot vertical hand arm things do come loose over time. check them occasionally.

Enjoy!

Cross trainers are great. I have been getting fitter over the past year or so (along with eating less) and the cross trainer along with cycling was the best way to start building up cardio workouts. It is pretty hard to injure yourself on one as it is so low impact so even HIIT can work but HIIT is not for everyone.

When I started I found it easier to do longer lower intensity to get used to exercise. Even now I don't do HIIT but Fartlek which is kind of similar but to do with running fast for a bit then slower for a bit.

Cross Trainers can be boring but also you can get yourself into a sort of rut with them grinding away but not increasing effort. I see this at the gym, folks just plugging away and barely breaking sweat. Make sure you keep challenging yourself and are really sweaty and puffing hard after a session. Also keep changing what you are doing and try and do 5 mins of one pace, change to a different pace for 5 min then a different resistance for 5 and so on.

The Couch to 5K program is great as well but running is very high impact and not for everyone. I was never a runner and avoided it for most of my life but it builds fitness like nothing else. I did a version of C25K and now run 3 or 4 times a week and am looking at running a 10k in April. I still use a cross trainer as a part of my weekly routine on a non running day.

Stick with it, it can be very rewarding.

My little home gym is my haven, mix of running, rowing and general exercise de stresses me each evening, cloths fit better, feel great, the benefits are endless. I now find the gym is the easy part the hard part is a healthy diet, even after 5 years I cannot be hoodwinked into thinking a salad is as tasty as 3 big macs and chips :D

cutting42":3rc690us said:
Cross trainers are great. I have been getting fitter over the past year or so (along with eating less) and the cross trainer along with cycling was the best way to start building up cardio workouts. It is pretty hard to injure yourself on one as it is so low impact so even HIIT can work but HIIT is not for everyone.

When I started I found it easier to do longer lower intensity to get used to exercise. Even now I don't do HIIT but Fartlek which is kind of similar but to do with running fast for a bit then slower for a bit.

Cross Trainers can be boring but also you can get yourself into a sort of rut with them grinding away but not increasing effort. I see this at the gym, folks just plugging away and barely breaking sweat. Make sure you keep challenging yourself and are really sweaty and puffing hard after a session. Also keep changing what you are doing and try and do 5 mins of one pace, change to a different pace for 5 min then a different resistance for 5 and so on.

The Couch to 5K program is great as well but running is very high impact and not for everyone. I was never a runner and avoided it for most of my life but it builds fitness like nothing else. I did a version of C25K and now run 3 or 4 times a week and am looking at running a 10k in April. I still use a cross trainer as a part of my weekly routine on a non running day.
Thanks Gareth, and Ian.
Frustratingly, spine, knees and saecroiliac joints mean I mustn't run (or try to), but I can do things that don't involve the jarring/percussive effect. I've got the hang of the controller now and am using a programme with a set of "sawteeth", ramping up the effort, then dropping back and repeating. It lets me dial that down for now, and with a short duration I have something to get started with. Already got out of the worst fitness category, but prob only just. I hope to get my stamina up so I can get back on the pushbike in the summer.

Overall, it'll be a long haul, but, as everyone says, worth it.

E.

Stick with it Eric, you like me will have the body of an 18 year old in no time (mines under the patio)

Pete

Eric The Viking":1hdl5l1z said:
Thanks Gareth, and Ian.
Frustratingly, spine, knees and saecroiliac joints mean I mustn't run (or try to), but I can do things that don't involve the jarring/percussive effect. I've got the hang of the controller now and am using a programme with a set of "sawteeth", ramping up the effort, then dropping back and repeating. It lets me dial that down for now, and with a short duration I have something to get started with. Already got out of the worst fitness category, but prob only just. I hope to get my stamina up so I can get back on the pushbike in the summer.

Overall, it'll be a long haul, but, as everyone says, worth it.

E.

Sounds great, good luck and keep at it. Try to do something every day which means you can never put it off to another day! My rule was every work day but I started doing ParkRun on a Sat morning so I go to the gym or run every day except Sundays. For me it makes it simpler as there is no getting away from exercise.

Back