Critique required-piece No4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Started to turn this piece of Yew only to find holes starting to appear from inside of it.As i took more off the bigger these holes got.
Just about managed to save the bigger one been joined but it was close as you can see :shock:
Sizes are 280mm dia x 90mm deep.Finished with sanding sealer and Melamine spray.
Also had to sand the inside using an electric drill.
So critique please. :D

Underneath bowl.

Inside bowl.

Outside bowl.

Paul.J.

Nice work Paul, some luvly grain colours... I do like the clean bottom but my preference is for a marked transition from the foot to the bowl...

Well , I like it , shame the top / rim part is not a bit bigger as it look fragile :shock:

lovely knots and twisty bits / contrast between darker / lighter wood is appealing

well done

Allen

Beautiful wood and lovely simple shape allowing the grain to speak for itself. As Graham, I would have had more of a 'foot' on it. Personal taste.
Personally I like the 'thin' look though if it is intended for practical use perhaps a bit thicker would be safer?
Looks like a really good finish as well

If you get a piece with holes, especially darker wood, think about filling with a contrast, I have one that split and used brass powder. Can look really effective.

Pete

P.S. I envy you that larger lathe, can't turn anything too big on my yellow peril

The wood figuring was certainly worth continuing with the project IMO, very near miss with the hole, if it should break through with usage it has enough character after a bit of trimming/blending along the rim edge to accommodate it OK I would have thought.

Now re: the base I'm with Graham as far as the nice clean lines on the bottom but personally unlike him and Pete I quite like the blend into the foot at the side, to me it 'goes with the flow' so to speak of the grain patterns, then again maybe they are right in wanting to see more of a statement in direction change. (need to do another one with different version :twisted: )

I am getting a bit like Tam, at least I think it was Tam who said he can't be fussed with a lot of rogue wood anymore, but that piece is one of those worth the effort.

Hello There Paul ...
I'm not qualified to appraise anything turned from wood yet ...

But I can tell you I think the bowl is wonderful -- the grain patterns on both outside and inside remind me of the Banded Agates that I collect on the beach.
I like to see 'new' things that make you think they are 'old' and have a history... and your bowl makes me think it has just that - "what wore away that hole, and whats the story behind the person who caused it to happen", ... you know the kind of thing I'm sure. It looks like its got a 'story to tell', and to me, thats great. 8) 8) 8)

Jenx":2zunfoos said:
I'm not qualified to appraise anything turned from wood yet ...

Don't dumb yourself down Jenx, you have a mind and preferences of your own, they are just as valid as anybody elses, your interpretation of the piece and it's effect on your appraisal of it's mysteries shows you probably have as much if not more insight into the piece than many an 'Artistic' type.

I presume you are not a highly skilled stonemason either but that should not stop you appraising the beauty of form of many an english cathedral.

Very pretty bowl, Paul - well done!

The knots, bark incursions, etc. generally make a different sound - a sort of clicking - when you get to them, which is warning enough to stop and have a closer look in case one is about to fly out. You've done well to preserve the shape as you have.

Maybe an oiled finish would have made the grain "pop" even more? I like the current finish, no doubt about it, but have a try with Danish or Tung oil - you may like the effect even more. :)

Ray.

Paul, that is absolutely gorgeous. That is my kind of bowl. I can see what is being said about the transition from bowl to foot, but IMO either would look just as good with that piece of timber. Also I wouldn't even think about filling the voids, that bowl should be used as a display on its own, holes and all. I also think you picked the right finish for that piece. You did good! Once more 5 out of 5, =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I do like Yew, but I just wish it would retain the amazing colours and the bright sort of hit you in the face finish when fresh. It always seems to oxidize and go dull and darker after 9 months or so. Nothing any of us can do about it. I've even tried spraying with anti-ultra violet car lacquer and it still goes darker just the same.

Chas, when I mentioned not sticking with bad wood any more. I was talking about the rotted soft stuff, and not wasting my time trying to stabilize it so I could work it. I think I could part with a pound of flesh for some pieces like that bowl.

TEP":3iubxnk6 said:
...is absolutely gorgeous. ....5 out of 5, ....
Steady on there Tam, remember there are some people who have to live with him :lol: :lol:

TEP":3iubxnk6 said:
...Chas, when I mentioned not sticking with bad wood any more. I was talking about the rotted soft stuff,.....
Thanks for the memory refresh Tam, yes I go with that unless it's a very small area in something special.

Nice piece,Paul - looks like it must have it's "interesting" moments when turning it,but finished result is well worth it.
Favourite piccy is the last one - the grain and colouring is quite amazing,and like the delicate top rim around the large void.Like the shape and proportion of the bowl;can see both points of view about the foot,and have no real preference - to me,it looks fine as it is.

TEP":10ad4zsn said:
Also I wouldn't even think about filling the voids, that bowl should be used as a display on its own, holes and all. I also think you picked the right finish for that piece. You did good! Once more 5 out of 5,

Says it all :D

Andrew

Duh!!! I have just had a second look and seen what you mean by the hole. No I don't know how I missed it except SWMBO was talking at (sorry to) me at the time. One to be proud of. Adrenalin rush innit?

Pete

Thanks again for your comments :shock:
I was surprised the wood stayed in one piece when i got into it.I had one bad split which was glued when i got near to the finish which did hold it together.
Now i'm not sure how long that thin rim will last,as already people are using it as an handle to look at it,so with it been so flimsy i might cut it back and blend it in.Just a pity it went too thin :roll:
I will have to do another,as i've got plenty of Yew with the base/foot more prominent.
Chas.Don't worry.I won't let me head get too big,as i've gotta get in me workshop :lol:
Tam your too kind.
Pete.How could you miss a hole that big.
Ray.I will try an oil too.
Jenx.Your welcome to praise or critisize any time.Thank you.

Paul.J.

Very nice. Yew is one of my favourite woods to turn but it does present some challenges with voids etc.

My first thought was, as others have mentioned, the need for some distinct transition from curve to foot. Of course, this is just personal preference.

Apart from that it's great. Nice finish.

Duncan

Back