How Does One Mend a Bowl?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Henry,

Have you tried using straw? If it works for buckets, I don't see why it wouldn't work for a bowl.
There is a risk that this method could provoke a new sharpening thread at some point....

Kind regards,

Liza

Robbo3":1v0iy2t5 said:
[

Woodfarmer.

Might get one complete thread because of the lack of thickness. How would you hold the bowl whilst threading it though ?

Screw wood to a faceplate ( short bit of plank maybe)

use wooden wedges to level the edges of the bowl (maybe screw some of these in place also)

pinch the bowl to the faceplate using bits of 2x1 screws and standoffs. Do not use high speed.

but I was only being silly in your case. would just drill it with a forstner bit and turn something to fit the hole. glue it with cascamite

needn't just be a repair to the bottom, why not spindle turn a longer "handle" for it, turn it into a design feature. ie spindle turn a centre bit similar to a table lamp.
One time I messed up I made this out of a failed project.

P1020939.JPG

better a tealight than firewood :)

It was meant to be a bowl but somehow I put it in reverse and the middle all filled up :)

Attachments

• P1020939.JPG
    P1020939.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 988
CHJ":t7559n7e said:
All good practice and grey cell stimulation but at the end of the day someone could have had ten minutes of warmth and you could have made three or four new bowls.

Lesson would have been well on the way to being remembered and the frustration quotient would have been considerably less.

And there would not be a reminder of that few seconds of your life when your attention lapsed and produced a little larger off_cut than intended.
That's kind of you to say so, but this thread must give you a clue to how slowly I work. :)

Also, you have to understand that most people on here have some natural ability. I unfortunately don't. :?

I put the blame for the hole on a kindly 80+ year old gentleman who gave me a 5/8" bowl gouge for sorting out his laptop - & of course I just had to try it out at the first opportunity.

I don't really mind the learning curve as long as I can achieve at least a semi-decent end result.

Screw wood to a faceplate ( short bit of plank maybe)
use wooden wedges to level the edges of the bowl (maybe screw some of these in place also)
pinch the bowl to the faceplate using bits of 2x1 screws and standoffs. Do not use high speed.
but I was only being silly in your case.
I realise that - but do you realise you are offering advice to someone who can't even hit a piece of wood to make it run true, so juggling with wooden meccano is going to take me weeks.

The reason for making such an effort with this bowl is that I showed it to the wife of the person who gave me the cherry & promised that I would try my best to fix it. She would have been happy with just a piece of plywood glued on to the bottom.

Always remember Robbo that anyone who tells you that they are a born flyer is a born liar and even birds have to learn to fly.

In other words anything that we do we have to learn how to and the only real way is by YOUR mastikes. I'm one of the lucky ones that never makes mastikes :?

I fthe lady would be happy with a bit of ply stuck on the bottom then why not true the bottom edge, get a good piece of 12mm birch ply and turn it to make a nice tight fit and add a little bit of flair to the fitting. Carefully glue it in place, I would use pva, and hey presto, you have a bowl and a happy lady 8)

When anyone gives me wood I always make a point of giving a bit back and telling them what I found inside it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This wild cherry bowl is one example

I managed to get round to finishing this bowl & I'm relatively pleased with the end product - which is more than I can say for my Photography. (hammer)

Cherry Bowl 1 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

Cherry Bowl 5 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

The two hardest parts were keeping the bowl level whilst stopping it from snatching when drilling a 74mm hole with a hole saw & secondly getting it to run as true as possible to turn a spigot.
Once that was accomplished by using a padded block in the chuck & bringing up the tail centre the inside was just the normal bottom of the bowl turning, remembering not to go to deep :oops: before sanding, finishing with shellac sanding sealer, de-nibbing with a green kitchen scourer (approx 800 grit) & a light coat of microchrystaline wax. Remounting between centers, using the padded block again, allowed the outside to be turned, sealed & waxed before carving off the remains of the stub & finishing.
A final buff on the outside brought up the gloss that the ladies seem to like so much. :)

Attachments

• Cherry Bowl 1 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    Cherry Bowl 1 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 916
  • Cherry Bowl 5 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    Cherry Bowl 5 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 916
Well done, Robbo.

Hope she's pleased with it. (Lucky you're not charging her by the hour / elapsed time :lol:

I think you are about 2 years faster than me in your speed of completion #-o

Latest posts

Back