Cressing Temple Hand Plane Comparison

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Lots of lovely planes at the show:
  • Philly
    Sauer&Steiner
    Lie-Nielsen
    Veritas
    Clifton
    Holtey
    Stanley (I think)*
The new Sauer&Steiner medium coffin plane is beautiful and sits in my (and Tony's) hands perfectly.

Main point of this rare venture of mine into the hand tools forum is to report on the test Escudo (Tony), DaveS and I did on David Charlesworth's bench.
He had the new Holtey, a L-N 51/2 and a highly fettled Stanley* with Hock blade and L-N chip breaker.
We each tried all 3 on an already smooth piece of wood (dont know what it was).
We were all amazed how good the Stanley* was compared to the planes costing 3x and 30x as much - the difference was pretty subtle and really down to personal preference, they all worked really well.
Of the 3 I preferred the Lie-Nielsen as it had more weight than the Stanley and just felt more right to me. I could happily use the Stanley though*.
I didn't like the Holtey :shock: :oops: As a piece of engineering art and craftmanship it's faultless, I just didn't like it in use.
What does this completley unscientific test prove?
Nothing really I guess, but it does show that fine tuning of even relatively cheap planes and putting good blades in them elevates their performance.
We'd like to thank David for allowing us to discover this insight for ourselves. Given the price difference between car-boot planes and L-N a fettling week with David looks very good value.

*I think it was a Stanley, but it might have been a Record.

Also Veritas were showing some new very small (3" long or so) shoulder planes - they looked very cute :)

as usual, DC's Stanley made me feel like slipping it into MarkW's bag, it's such a joy to use.

From what I have read, DC's plane has had years of polishing and fettling to make it like that?

The tiny Veritas planes were on show at West Dean earlier this year - not for sale yet I think? They do look nice.

Rod

Harbo":28g1z1oa said:
The tiny Veritas planes were on show at West Dean earlier this year - not for sale yet I think?
The Veritas small shoulder plane is for sale on their (LV) website.

Cheers, Vann.

DC's Stanley was polished to a mirror finish, as were the faces of one of his hammers :shock:

Vann - these planes are very tiny and narrow - about 1/4" wide from memory?
They have a side wing action for releasing the blade?
Polished steel and brass. Very pretty.
Wish I had taken some photos of them? :(

Rod

I agree with Pete's analysis. All three planes were excellent.

I now know the standard I should be aiming for with my planes, all I need now is a bit more skill and some application.

After all, any tool is only as good as it's master.

Tony.

cambournepete":3gob2sd3 said:
Lots of lovely planes at the show:
  • Philly
    Sauer&Steiner
    Lie-Nielsen
    Veritas
    Clifton
    Holtey
    Stanley (I think)*
The new Sauer&Steiner medium coffin plane is beautiful and sits in my (and Tony's) hands perfectly.

Main point of this rare venture of mine into the hand tools forum is to report on the test Escudo (Tony), DaveS and I did on David Charlesworth's bench.
He had the new Holtey, a L-N 51/2 and a highly fettled Stanley* with Hock blade and L-N chip breaker.
We each tried all 3 on an already smooth piece of wood (dont know what it was).
We were all amazed how good the Stanley* was compared to the planes costing 3x and 30x as much - the difference was pretty subtle and really down to personal preference, they all worked really well.
Of the 3 I preferred the Lie-Nielsen as it had more weight than the Stanley and just felt more right to me. I could happily use the Stanley though*.
I didn't like the Holtey :shock: :oops: As a piece of engineering art and craftmanship it's faultless, I just didn't like it in use.
What does this completley unscientific test prove?
Nothing really I guess, but it does show that fine tuning of even relatively cheap planes and putting good blades in them elevates their performance.
We'd like to thank David for allowing us to discover this insight for ourselves. Given the price difference between car-boot planes and L-N a fettling week with David looks very good value.

*I think it was a Stanley, but it might have been a Record.

Also Veritas were showing some new very small (3" long or so) shoulder planes - they looked very cute :)

Hi

Just a minor point. David C had my No 98 plane not the new No 982. You can see it at: http://www.holteyplanes.com/planes_No982.html .There are two reviews on the No 982 that will be published shortly (and there is currently a preview on Chris Schwarz's blog).

Karl

I don't have any plans at the moment for another show, but I am going to do one show a year - which one I don't know yet.

Karl

I think there are quite a few forum members who have been on David's, tool prep course, so we could always conduct some tests on fettled Stanleys vs others at a bash.

I've got a fettled 5 1/2 I could offer other forumites a go on and LN4.

SeanG":1wc8ix5u said:
I think there are quite a few forum members who have been on David's, tool prep course, so we could always conduct some tests on fettled Stanleys vs others at a bash.

If you do this, I would suggest you do the comparisons using wood with "difficult" grain. So often demonstrations of how good planes perform are conducted using pieces of wood with nice, straight grain and people come away with the impression that cheapo planes can be made to perform as well as the "best" ones. In my experience there are significant differences between the best and the not so good, however well they have been fettled, but this shows up best with "difficult" woods.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

My thoughts aabout the three planes really echo those of Pete and Tony. It was the first time I have used either a 'premium' plane or a very well fettled Stanley, so it was quite an eye-opener for me.

I did wonder about the point that Paul raises, though - the timber was not exactly challenging. That said, it only becomes an issue if you actually use challenging timbers, of course.

My other thought - is a Stanley plane with a Hock blade and Lie Nielsen chipbreaker, really a Stanley at all? What would be interesting to compare is the Stanley with standard blade/chipbreaker; the Stanley with the Hock Blade and the Stanley with both blade and chipbreaker replaced.

Dave

mark w":28h6goz2 said:
Does anybody know what DC thinks of the Veritas planes, he never seems to mention them.

Mark

That's probably because he works(ed) closely with LN.

I`d still like to know what he thinks of Veritas planes, perhaps if you`re reading any of this David you could let me and others know.
On a slightly different subject, I recently had to add up the cost of tools and equipment in my workshop for insurance purposes. I was astounded to find out that I have spent to the nearest pound £3500.00 on Lie Nielsen and veritas tools alone. Any one else had a shock like that?

Mark

Back