Cressing Temple Hand Plane Comparison

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark w":3tol6pwo said:
Does anybody know what DC thinks of the Veritas planes, he never seems to mention them.

Mark

Funnily enough i asked him about the veritas planes when i met him at cressington barns.

As far as I'm aware, Mr C has never made any public statements on the forum about the merits or nae of Veritas planes. However, as he's done a lot of work with TLN over the last few years, I think the 'diplomatic' reply was probably prudent :wink: - Rob

The reason I asked the question about Veritas planes is because his opinions are usually spot on and he often points out details which I would never have thought of. At the same time I can appreciate his position with Lie Nielsen.

Mark

Doug B":259bgpis said:
woodbloke":259bgpis said:
However, as he's done a lot of work with TLN over the last few years, - Rob

Wished i`d known that bit before Rob :oops: :oops:
Doug - understandable if you didn't know the ongoing situation...worry not about it - Rob

Mark,

I have not used many, but did a review of the bevel up Jack a while ago for F&C.

This is a very good plane. I found that the knob which positions the moving front sole, made blade insertion a little difficult.

Not very fond of the blade shape, as the tapering top end does not suit my favorite Eclipse type honing guide.

I think my only other reservation was the handle shape, which many like. I found it made my hand ache after about 30 minutes use. This is presumably because I am so used to the Stanley shape.

On another subject, I think their new dovetail saws, particularly the 22 TPI one are splendid. Easy to start and very good value.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David,
Thanks for posting a response, I agree their dovetail saw is good, I tried a few different saws at West Dean this year and for me it was the best, even better than the new Rob Cosman saw.
I own a Veritas bevel up jack and to start with I found it difficult to hold, the handle shape and where to put your index finger (pistol grip) when planing,
But I soon got used to it. When I bought mine there was a big difference in price between the Veritas and Lie nielsen so I plumped for the Veritas.
Thanks for letting me try your Holtey at Cressing, most generous.

Mark

David C":39fjmlrs said:
I think my only other reservation was the handle shape, which many like. I found it made my hand ache after about 30 minutes use. This is presumably because I am so used to the Stanley shape.

(Chuckle) of course, depending on one's opinion on how much work one should have to put into a tool, there's always this option:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/planetote.html

BugBear

Bugbear,
I`ve just looked at your suggested website, I`m glad I just got used to mine, a lot of work for a handle. I`m still confused though, is that a man or a woman at The Cornish Workshop?

Mark w

wizer":23e6ktkj said:
Alf is female
...who used to be a mine of all sorts of useful stuff on UKWorkshop but who no longer posts (owing to a cybersquabble) a few years ago. I haven't had a peek at her site in a while now, but unless others can confirm otherwise, she seems to have completely given up woodwork, which is a huge shame :cry: - Rob

I suspect that this current absence has nothing at all to do with cyber-squabble and more to do with personal issues.

Back