Craftwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevet93

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I mainly make craft pieces animal jigsaws clocks plaques toys etc, I want to sell the objects I have made possibly on line I’m not in it for a profit just to cover materials would surfice as I enjoy my new found hobby ,can anyone recommend where I can advertise my wares .
With grateful thanks Steve.

I think that there are several options:

facebook marketplace / instagram / other social media - fairly informal and you do a deal with those who follow you etc.
etsy or equivalent marketplace focused on craft - set up for small sellers, but you will give them a chunky commission
ebay - worth doing if you pick up the offers where listing is a fixed £1 rather than a commission
your own website - for a more serious approach, but with costs associated with it - something like shopify will allow you to test the water at a low (for commercial) cost, but you need to factor in setup time / marketing / etc. so it is not a cheap approach!

best is probably to informally play with social media, your own contacts will be a good starting point - do a few 'giveaways' to grow an audience and go from there

I think that there are several options:

facebook marketplace / instagram / other social media - fairly informal and you do a deal with those who follow you etc.
etsy or equivalent marketplace focused on craft - set up for small sellers, but you will give them a chunky commission
ebay - worth doing if you pick up the offers where listing is a fixed £1 rather than a commission
your own website - for a more serious approach, but with costs associated with it - something like shopify will allow you to test the water at a low (for commercial) cost, but you need to factor in setup time / marketing / etc. so it is not a cheap approach!

best is probably to informally play with social media, your own contacts will be a good starting point - do a few 'giveaways' to grow an audience and go from there

I would have a look at all outlets before you commit too much effort- competing with mass production or chinese supplied items isn't much fun. The. Again, to list on eBay or Etsy probably won't cost anything much either, so no harm in trying.

Have a look around, there will be a demand shortly for personalised teacher gifts- both for the "best teacher ever" and from the teacher, often a little something for each child. Local social media and contacts are the likely best advertisements for this.

I would have a look at all outlets before you commit too much effort- competing with mass production or chinese supplied items isn't much fun. The. Again, to list on eBay or Etsy probably won't cost anything much either, so no harm in trying.

Have a look around, there will be a demand shortly for personalised teacher gifts- both for the "best teacher ever" and from the teacher, often a little something for each child. Local social media and contacts are the likely best advertisements for this.
Thank you

As mentioned Etsy, Ebay and social media. Beware of fees to these options.

Other alternatives
numonday lower fees than eBay.
folksy commission plus subscription based with different tiers.

I've only used Ebay and can't comment on the other options.
There are more options, Google Etsy alternatives.

Always check fees etc

Iain.

As mentioned Etsy, Ebay and social media. Beware of fees to these options.

Other alternatives
numonday lower fees than eBay.
folksy commission plus subscription based with different tiers.

I've only used Ebay and can't comment on the other options.
There are more options, Google Etsy alternatives.

Always check fees etc

Iain.
Thank you .

I wonder if it would be worth you finding a local Art/Picture seller. Attractive toys could enhance their gallery window display. They would probably let you put them on show at no charge and then make a commission on sales. I think you might get higher prices this way, as on line is often about getting a bargain. There is a certain cachet about things sold in a gallery and often a high price makes customers value your effort more. Selling toys as toys means you have to be very sure they are safe. Of course, if you produce a lot on line will reach more customers. It would be nice to see some picture of your pieces.
Martin

I wonder if it would be worth you finding a local Art/Picture seller. Attractive toys could enhance their gallery window display. They would probably let you put them on show at no charge and then make a commission on sales. I think you might get higher prices this way, as on line is often about getting a bargain. There is a certain cachet about things sold in a gallery and often a high price makes customers value your effort more. Selling toys as toys means you have to be very sure they are safe. Of course, if you produce a lot on line will reach more customers. It would be nice to see some picture of your pieces.
Martin
Thanks for the advice Martin

Back