Craft fairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a craft fair at work yesterday and one of the stalls was a disabled turner and his missus. I stupidly forgot to ask his name. :oops:
Some beautiful work on the stall too, which being mostly confined to a 'chair must be pretty awkward at times.
Anyhoo.... the point of this ramble..... Every day is a school day. I gleaned loads of information re. wood sources I hadn't heard of, lathes I hadn't heard of, kit sources I didn't know, and much more.
It must be genetic, how woody type folks can chat away for hours on end, without changing the subject.

Well, they're all in the greater Glasgow area, so didn't think directions to places would mean much to most folks. I'm rubbish at remembering addresses and stuff like that.

I'm a wheelchair user and a sit down turner. It's awkward sometimes to translate some techniques to sitting but as long as the lathe is the right height it's much the same.

This is the only one I can find a website for.
There's Reid timber which I think most local folk know about. The bloke uses a place in Motherwell too, but I've forgotten the name and would only be able to find it by driving round.

Can't for the life of me remember his name, but the guy in the wheelchair referred to in the original post is probably the same one as used to demonstrate at Jean Burhouse in Dunkeld (now Brodie's?). If the OP wanted to follow up with him, Brodies would probably have contact details. He does some super work.

Think it one of the Strathclyde woodturners. I have exhibited many times at woodfars along side these guys and they are a great bunch. Very knowledgable and willing to answer all sorts of questions from the public even though the same one gets asked 100 times a day
Mike whats wrong with glenrothes, I havedhere all my life!

Mike

Glenrothes is great. It has Haldanes for great hardwood offcuts but it's a long way to any woodturning clubs which is a shame. I've been here for 25 yrs but still miss the west.
I almost met another woodturner last weekend! I went to the recycling centre to empty a few bags of shavings in a skip. A man had just driven off and I recognised the pile of turning shavings he had just dumped. Near miss!
Have either you are Taz tried the Scottish Hardwood supplier out near Oakley? It looks pretty good.

Mike - the other Mike.

Hi Mike
Drop me a pm if you want to come around to the workshop for a coffee. I am up at Southfield Ind Estate at 46 Nasmyth Road, I'm very rarely at home!

Mike

Back