Sad day at the craft fair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at my normal craft fair the other day and soon after we opened the doors to the public a lady came up to my stall and was looking at a couple of plaques I had made on stands that were made in memory of a loved one. She asked me if I could make one with her daughters name on it, which obviously I could. We had a chat and she said her daughter was just five years old when she passed away. It was so sad hearing this lady telling me of her young daughters life it brought a lump to my throat.

About two hours later I had another lady approach my stall and she asked if I would make her three crosses with her sons name down the centre, one for her and two for her brothers. He was eleven when he sadly passed away. I find it hard when a child is taken away long before their time. I cannot begin to imagine what the parents must endure and go through, it must be truly horrendous.

The lady opposite my stall is a dressmaker and she has all sorts of things on her stall that she has made and a couple of weeks back I asked her if she would make a pair of curtains for my kitchen and on the day I had the orders from the above ladies she brought the curtains in. I have never seen such well made curtains and was over the moon with her work. When things eased up I sat with her and we had a chat as we had our lunch and she shared with me that she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer, this was on a Tuesday, she said that she had seen the consultant the previous Friday and the would have her in and operate the following Monday, which was very quick. I could not believe the brave face she was putting on and explained that when they catch it early on there is every chance of a complete cure and she had been told they she would be completely cured.

On a happier note and again on the same day I had a husband and wife come up to my stall and as usual we had a chat and the wife explained to me how she wanted a plaque to go on her shed on her allotment and she asked for one with "Caths Den" on it so we filled in the order form and away they went to the cafe within the halls complex. An hour later that were back. The wife explained that they had two allotment's, both next to each other and it would not be fair her having a plaque on her shed and not having one on her husbands so they ordered "Harry's Plot". I have done several plaques and name signs for allotment owners over the years and fortunately for me when the other allotment owners see them they want one as well and come along to see me.

Soon after I had a lady come over and asked me if I could make her a large cat with the names of her four cats on it. I know some people go potty over their pets and I can understand it with a dog as I often get asked for a doggy plaque with the dogs name on it but I have never been asked before to do something for a cat. I must admit I am not fond of cats for to me they just eat and sleep and the only time they show affection is when they want feeding again but with a dog you have a real friend for life.

Geoff.

Very sad circumstances, but you must be pleased that the people who had lost children, came to you to make memorial plaques, a true reflection of your workmanship.

I have cut many cat related plaques etc, I donate them to the Cats Protection charity shop as my sister works, there part time.

I have had cats/ lived with cats all of my life, affection for their owner does vary from cat to cat, but most do favour the hand that feeds them. :roll:

Take care.

Chris R.

Back