Covering MDF / Coloured melamine MDF?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyone

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all.

Im looking to make a camper interior for my van so i can use it for short trips etc. But im a bit stuck of which material to use :?: it needs to 15mm as 18mm is a bit chunky / heavy and a choose of colours would be good as i want to match the upholstery im going to put in which is red and black...

im currently trying to find somewhere that sells 15mm melamine mdf in different colours but i am struggling, does anyone know of a supplier preferably in the south east but if not someone who can deliver?

My other option i think is to buy plain 15mm mdf and cover it somehow, which could possibly be a cheaper option? has anyone come across something like this before?

Many Thanks, (hammer)

Woody.

Hi Woody

I would cover the MDF with formica, melamine can wear quite quickly. When we need it done I get someone else to apply it to 8 x 4 sheets for us to cut. However in your situation perhaps it would be easier to apply formica on to sheets that have been cut to size using contact adhesive and a laminate trimmer. Take a look at http://www.worktops-southwest.co.uk/ they have a wide range of laminates they can source and would be able to refer you onto someone closer to you.

Hi Woody

If you have a Jewsons near you they should be able to get you light weight MDF which is about 20% lighter then standard and also any Formica you want.

The parent group Saint Gobain also owns International Decorative Surfaces as well as International Timber and they can get it from there for you.

I now buy most of my timber and sheet through Jewsons since they started to do this last year up here and so far the pricing has been pretty competitive as well.

The quality has been good as well.

It will depend if the local branch manager knows that they can do this, I wanted some glass from a branch near to my parents recently to save me the hassle of transporting 120 miles and I had to tell them where to go for it, but once they knew, it was easy. ( Solaglass) is also par of the same group.

Tom

Jewson also sell a Birch faced spruce cored ply which I have used a lot. It laminates well and is quite light. Not sure it comes in 15mm.
there is an IDS (international decorative surfaces) in Maidstone from memory who sell laminate..
davin

Perfect! this is exactly what i am after and i have a jewsons just down the road from me i will give them a ring tommorow. As for the laminates how do you stick them to the mdf if i was to go down this route? would i need a press?

Thanks,

Woody.

Back