Covering lines and gaps on bookshelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieDo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a built in bookshelf in the living room, there are a lot of lines between the shelf unit and the wall, partically around the top. Is there a way to cover or fill these lines without susceptible to cracking?
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

I am thinking of using edging tape and painting over it? any suggestions would be great thanks, Stevie

Those long vertical lines look like they were meant to be there, I definitely would leave them alone, it would be a mess if you tried to fill them in.
The only other bit that possibly needs filling is on that first photo, I think I would just use either decorators caulk or plain old wood filler.
Ian
Edit if you hadn’t wanted those vertical lines it would have been better not to round the edges, also when butting up two pieces like that it’s often best to have one set back so that it doesn’t look like you’re trying to get them level.

Fill the shelves with interesting books and things and baubles to suit. Draws the eye. You won't even notice in week or two.

(I find that when you decorate a room you notice every imperfection, put the furniture back and you stop noticing. Nobody else ever notices either.)

Back