Couple of Elm logs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I cut up my last two big logs of the Elm that i got about four years ago the other day so thought i would do the process i use,pretty much like everyone else i suppose but here goes.

The two logs approx 18" dia and about 30" long.
logs1.jpg

On the saw bench and marked ready for cutting with my leccy chainsaw.
logs2.jpg

I placed a wedge in to keep the cut from binding,and as you can see i have cut off any branch bits that were sticking out.
logs3.jpg

Heres aboth logs cut in half.....
logs4.jpg

and then all cut along the length.The four on the right look promising.
logs5.jpg

Ready to be rounded on the bandsaw.
logs6.jpg

All eight blanks now ready for turning :D
logs7.jpg

Attachments

• logs1.jpg
    logs1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,471
  • logs2.jpg
    logs2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,471
  • logs3.jpg
    logs3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,471
  • logs4.jpg
    logs4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,471
  • logs5.jpg
    logs5.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,471
  • logs6.jpg
    logs6.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,471
  • logs7.jpg
    logs7.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,471
Finally got round to finishing the first four of these eight blanks that i cut up.
When i started turning them it soon became apparent that part of each blank was still very wet for some reason so only part turned them all then left to dry.Luckily they didn't move that much so finished them off without much bother.
Sizes range from 11-1/2" to 10-1/2" dia and 6-1/2" 5-1/2" deep.
All finished with Chestnut food safe oil.

elm bowl-ukw.jpg

elm bowl2-ukw.jpg

elm bowl3-ukw.jpg

elm bowl4-ukw.jpg

Attachments

• elm bowl-ukw.jpg
    elm bowl-ukw.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,285
  • elm bowl2-ukw.jpg
    elm bowl2-ukw.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,285
  • elm bowl3-ukw.jpg
    elm bowl3-ukw.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • elm bowl4-ukw.jpg
    elm bowl4-ukw.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,285
That wood was certainly worth the wait in the drying store Paul, If only we could always find such treasures to award our patience and effort. Logs like that are getting rarer by the day.

I like elm, back in Cornwall I had an Cornish elm growing in my garden, it was already quite a size when I left, wish now I had put a preservation order on it as they are quite rare now. Elm nearly always has interesting grain patterns and figuring. lovely wood. Last forever if kept wet/damp.

Like the bowls they are deeper than average so it takes bit more skill to turn them, well done.

Can I ask the make and size of your electric chainsaw. I treated myself to a new Botche one last August and it really is rubbish when compared to the cheapie I used for 8 or 9 years before. I can rarely split a log without the chain coming off a time or two and the safety trips every time I pick it up with one hand.

Yes Chas its a shame as its a great wood to turn and finish i think.

This is the leccy saw i use WF,its cut up a fair few logs cince i have had it,its a cracking chainsaw for a leccy one.
chainsawholder.jpg

You have not shown the wood to its full advantage and I THINK YOU SHOULD SHARE IT AROUND. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously the bowls look good and you have some nice pieces of wood there look forward to see what you come up with also like the sawing stand

I do like Elm, it's such a shame that the trees have all but vanished, though I do notice that they are still managing to grow to a reasonable size before the DE gets them, the heartwood though is often still pretty small in comparison to the overall girth. Really like the bowl with the knots, fantastic swirls! Nice that they ended up being something to enjoy for many years. Good Stuff Paul. :)

There's a lovely depth in elm and you've got it well - well done.

We're fortunate in Scotland as we have quite a lot of Wych Elms which are just a bit more resistant to the blasted bug. I was looking for beech for a project recently and ended up buying a wych elm plank from Scottish Hardwoods in Fife - the project change and I made two lovely 12" platters, and a third is on order.

I was curious about 'wych' and the alternative name of Scots Elm. Seemingly 'wych' is old English for pliant or supple and gives us 'weak' and 'wicker'. A nice thing I didn't know is that Loch Lomond comes from the Gaelic for Loch of the Elms.

All may not be lost for the Elms. I cannot remember the details but read somewhere that while most Elms got the bug at a certain arboretum there were some that were resistant and they are now propagating from those to see if they will also be resistant.

Lets hope so.

Back