Could you make it for this price?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
Just back from Harrogate Autumn show where a company fromSheffield were selling Hand Made furniture.
Spec
Solid Mahogany
Hand made dovetails
Traditional construction
Hand carving
Every piece goes through 15 stage process of staining and polishing all by hand.
Backs mahogany.
Could you make it for £375 and make a living?
DSCF1694.jpg

Mike[/img]

What a truly awful, uninspiring piece of furniture, I wouldn't give him £50 for it.

Wizzer

I have to laugh at that....some poor sod has spent hours putting 15 coats of polish on this piece ........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikee

dicktimber":24tcfori said:
Wizzer

I have to laugh at that....some poor sod has spent hours putting 15 coats of polish on this piece ........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikee

What a bloody waste of time.

That's beside the point.

It says absolutely nothing about place of production on the website. The nearest they get is that their own employees deliver it.

They claim to be using solid mahogany and rosewood in stuff that is affordable.

sniff... sniff...

If it smells like then it probably is.

Rosewood.

My ares.

Why not?

As you introduced my least favourite smiley into the conversation, I'll have to use it a bit myself.

Heard of email :roll: fax machines :roll:

Do you believe solid mahogany and rosewood, and British wages, at those prices? Why are they more reticent on their website than in oral conversation? It would seem to me to be a selling point worth mentioning, no?

It speaks for itself, like the salesman you talked to.

Hmmm... just looked through the website quite carefully (Saturday nights are not what they used to be) and I cannot find any reference to hand made in Sheffield. Company based in Sheffield, yes. Handmade, yes but never the two in the same sentence.

Anyone seen otherwise? If not draw your own conclusions...

Jake
I have to say, 'shady salesman' did come into the equation, especially when he told me he did over 150 shows a year in the UK.

I agree with everything you say.
As they say,
' If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right'
Mikee

He's going to be very good at his job - not good enough for you, or you wouldn't have questioned him by posting the thread.

I suppose one other possibility is that this one piece is cheap - perhaps because its been returned or is second hand , while the others are much more expensive and in line with british labour costs etc.

There dont seem to be any prices on their website , which if they were this cheap you'd expect them to be.

Jake":21tthktf said:
There are prices,try this solid rosewood (my ares) piece:

http://www.thefurniturecompany.co.uk/pr ... ProdID=199

good point - i stand corrected

legally speaking how much of a piece of furniture has to be made of solid rosewood for it to be described thus ?

if for example this was made with a solid rosewood frame, and drawer fronts, and lipping with the rest being veneered mdf as seems likely at that price would they be breaching the trades description act ?

(as an aside i recently butchered a supposedly "solid teak" G plan wardrobe for the wood - only to discover that it was largely teak veneered chipboard)

Perhaps Rosewood is generic.
Here in the UK some woods are described as something mahogany.
So prhaps this is Taiwan rosewood. :wink:

Latest posts

Back