Could this be an ELU router? eBay auction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldpate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just been looking at this eBay auction, which is described as an ELU router:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I've never owned an ELU unfortunately, nor even handled one, so I'm certainly no expert, but after a close look at the pics I was a bit doubtful.
1. The on/off switch looks like one of those plastic sheathed things that you have to hold down to run the motor. Pictures of 1/4" ELU routers I've seen always have a switch on the side (like the T5 - protected by a sort of 'hump-back bridge' profile).
2. In pictures I've seen of ELUs with round plunge knobs like these, the knobs are ribbed rather than smooth.
3. 4-star knobs to lock plunge bar and side-fence bars?

All-in-all, I think I'll stay clear, but I'd be interested in the opinions of others with more knowledge of ELU routers than I.

Thats no Elu, its a crappy cheap one!! - Look at the collets.

Just sent the following question to seller

"Was just looking at your router and havnt seen this ELU model before and the collets dont look like those that elu use. Could you please confirm what elu model this is as well as the wattage please."

I will let you know what answer I get.

Rog

I reckon it's a 'performance power' one from B&Q

£25 new - i'd pay £5 for it if there was no postage

Looks distinctly similair to this one of mine.....

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

In fact, not similair, it IS the same one as mine. Ferm, cheap n cheerful. Not too bad, but then I paid £20 about 8 years ago for it.

He's obviously trying to make a quid on a cheap model. Or perhaps he bought it from somebody else believing it to be ELU.

Cheers

Karl

Pretty convincing set of answers so far :). Thanks to everybody for the confirm.

To Karl:
Yup, that sure looks like the one. "Or perhaps he bought it from somebody else believing it to be ELU." Could well be - I always like to think the best of people. But remember Ronald Regan's old adage : "trust ... but verify!".
[PS: You're a fan of Dante too, I see!]

To Rog:
Unfortunately, I don't know what the real colletts should look like - big fat chunky things, I imagine, from the tone of your post? Thanks for asking that question - I look forward to seeing the reply!

Chris

Just to confirm what the others said, I used to sell them, I still own one and this definately doesn't look like any elu I've ever seen.

Bob

baldpate":35q5zsyc said:
Pretty convincing set of answers so far :). Thanks to everybody for the confirm.

To Karl:
Yup, that sure looks like the one. "Or perhaps he bought it from somebody else believing it to be ELU." Could well be - I always like to think the best of people. But remember Ronald Regan's old adage : "trust ... but verify!".
[PS: You're a fan of Dante too, I see!]

To Rog:
Unfortunately, I don't know what the real colletts should look like - big fat chunky things, I imagine, from the tone of your post? Thanks for asking that question - I look forward to seeing the reply!

Chris
This is the real deal

5449617100_2824c05a2c_z.jpg

Not such a good pic but easy to see the differences.

I contacted the seller asking for more information about the router - He replied saying that it was an MOF96 - I replied advising him that it was NOT and Elu but since then he has not replied but instead edited his sale adding even more text stating that it is an MOF96

He knows its not an ELU but is just trying to con someone out of their hard earned!

No doubt when it sells the buyer will be putting negative feedback on when they get the router - Similar to another of his buyers

Ebay should do something about sales like this. They are rife and people get away with it by saying 'not sure but think it's a .....' or 'don't know anything about it but am confident it's a .....'.

Ebay should only allow adverts that the either the seller can guarantee it is what they say it is, or not state anything at all.

They won't though cos as long as you pay their fees, Ebay couldn't care less!! :evil:

(In my experience :| )

I've several Routers that I think may be Dewalt or Trend but have been rebadged as B+Q Pro, might put 'em on the Bay. At least mine still have some stickers that haven't 'fallen off'. :D

I always pay using paypal on ebay that way you can complain that the goods are 'not as stated' and get a full refund. I have never had to do this however a friend was successful in getting a refund for a similar con. It pays to read the sales pitch very carefully and note what is left out by the seller.
I wouldnt touch it!
Stew

Amongst my collection of Makita, Elu and Dewalt routers (I WISHED!!) I have at least 6 of these cheapies under various guises. They're all 1020 watts except 1 at 850 watts. They're actually not bad for what they are IMO, but I hate to see people conned into thinking they're buying 'quality', when in fact they're buying 'adequate'.

For what it's worth, I've just sent him this...

hello... for your info (and your customers) and to avoid negative feedback this is NOT an ELU or a DEWALT. It is a basic unit sold under many different names including B&Q (Power Pro), Mica, Direct Power, Fulsan Tools, McKeller, Powerbase, Marksman, Nutool, Fragram and many others, but NOT ELU or DEWALT. I don't believe you are intentionally trying to deceive but please change your ad or I will be forced to report it to ebay. Thanks.

Let's hope I've appealed to his better nature, as we know ebay certainly wont!!

If I get a reply I'll post it.

Roy

That is almost exactly what I said in my message to him, but after getting mine all he did was put more rubbish on the description trying to con people into thinking its an MOF96

I have asked seller to confirm that this is made by Elu and if he has the lost stickers if he doesnt reply or worse still insists this is Elu I will report this item to ebay, I have in the past reported false info to ebay and would encourage everyone to do the same to discourage cons like this appears to be.
Will let everyone here know the outcome.

Regards
Stew

He replied to my question and said "do not bid on it then i said it is like the mof96 dont quote me on this "

I guess he'll decide to either pull or will con somebody- it will be interesting to see which.

SurreyHills":50x6qilh said:
He replied to my question and said "do not bid on it then i said it is like the mof96 dont quote me on this "

I guess he'll decide to either pull or will con somebody- it will be interesting to see which.

Atrocious response. I asked him a direct question on why he thinks it's an ELU or DeWALT and to post the question on his auction with his answer......

I hate this sort of thing where clearly the guy will not give in....or will he?

Jim

My ebay question:

"Hi...this is not like any ELU or DeWALT router I have seen...can you confirm why you think it is? Please post this question with your answer as I fear others may not think so."

and the answer:

"hi there i brought the router of a guy on site a couple of years ago he told me it was elu and it is the same colour as my elu planner i believe it is
but if your not sure dont bid on it
cheers "

He did not put the Q/A up for all to view and clearly is avoiding this although directly asked to do so.

I too have reported him. This sort of thing damages the safe use of eBay and should be policed in this way by people in the know.

Another thing I reported a number of times was dealers selling new items of tat....under Collectibles>Tools and Hardware as it really annoys me!

Jim

Back