Correct approach to level tables on Wadkin 12" BFT planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just in the process of setting up a recently brought Wadkin BFT 12" planer. The cutter block has been removed and new bearings installed. I'll install the cutter block one the tables are coplanar. I've removed the tables for cleaning and they are now ready to be installed and levelled.

My question is on the best approach / method to level the infeed with the outfeed table. Also previously shims have been used on both tables. If there is no movement in the outfeed table does it need to be shimmed?

Can anyone also recommend a supplier of a straight edge for checking the tables and also a supplier of shims. The current shim are plastic, but happy to use anything that will get the job done.

Thanks,
Eddie

If a planer is not co planer I have always shimmed the outfeed table and left the infeed. A good source of shims are feeler gauges, nice small increments.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip on the feeler gauges. Just shelled out on a Veriitas aluminum straightedge to do the job. So will look at the outfeed table when it arrives.

Does anyone have an exploded view of the Wadkin BFT 12"? I found one for the 9", but not the 12". The reason for asking is that there are a two small bolts with locking nuts next to each of the rise and fall hand wheels and I'm not sure what they are for. I first thought that they were grease points, but the bolts appear to be solid. I hoping that they might be to help level the tables? Any thoughts? Will grab a photo later today.

Cheers,
Eddie

Hi All,

Here's some photos.

IMG_20140824_154211.jpg

IMG_20140824_154848.jpg

After a bit of a clean up it looks like it some form of adjuster as the top takes a hek key that can be locked of by the nut. Anyone know if these take up the play in the dovetailed ways and help to level the tables?

Thanks,
Eddie

Attachments

• IMG_20140824_154211.jpg
    IMG_20140824_154211.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20140824_154848.jpg
    IMG_20140824_154848.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 70
They might do, I've seen similar before.

Are any of the tables level to the cutter block? I'd choose the closest as the datum then shim the other accordingly. A DTI clock on a magnetic stand stuck to a piece of flat steel is very useful for this job.

Hi,

Turned out that the small bolts are to set the stop for the rise on the table.

Does anyone know a good place to source reasonably priced shim stock or slotted shims for leveling the outfeed table?

Cheers,
Eddie

Latest posts

Back